Author Topic: Old hit and miss aka Johnny poper  (Read 1573 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Old hit and miss aka Johnny poper
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:29:32 pm »
We were at a fall festival in a town called cuero and in the food court some one was making icecream with an old hit and miss single cylinder engine man I love these little motors they are so simple compared to the advanced engines today all I could get was a short video
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee451/bloodmoonwidow/431579FB-2D96-4BD8-8E4B-9F8CEEC73256-9137-000010CF3F2A65F3.mp4

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline stickbender

Re: Old hit and miss aka Johnny poper
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »

Yeah those old fly wheel engines are neat.  There was a BIG one that ran
the conveyor belt system for a packing house in Fort Pierce, Florida, for years, and they finally tore down the old packing house and built a new one with a modern electric engine.  There is a guy here in Montana who has a small one about the size of the one in the video.  They went under various names, hit and miss, one lunger's etc.  There a lot of Fly wheel clubs around.  If you remember the African Queen, with Humphrey Bogart, and Kathryn Hepburn, the boat they were on, the "African Queen", had a flywheel engine.  Very simple concept, and quite effective.  There were even washing machines that had them for their power.  You just had to keep the little tank full of water to keep it cool.

Wayne

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »
Heck yeah I love these engines this one could run 8 hours before it needed to be re filled I'd love to have one and put it to work :)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:25 am »
You ought to come down here for the big, Flywheel Festival they have in a town just south of me. Google Flywheel Club, Ft. Meade, Fl.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »
There is a big flea market held twice a year near me and there is always a man making icecream with an old hit and miss. I can watch that thing for a long time, just love to see it run.
Steve Bennett

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:52 am »

I would love to build a boat with that as it's engine.  Kinda like the
African Queen.  8)
                                             Those flywheel conventions Eddie is talking
about are really cool!  They have them from the washing machine size to big flat bed,truck size.
                                                     Wayne