Author Topic: European Buckthorn Flatbow  (Read 4055 times)

blackhawk

Re: European Buckthorn Flatbow
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:12 am »
Thanks cody,and thanks for the stave/trade  :)

Thank yous to zion,knapper,eric,clint,danny,kenny,kip,soy,dwardo,pappy,n my pal ;)

Thanks greg,I think you will like this wood too if you temper your bows. But even before I tempered it,it took zero(no loss at all) set up till I long stringed it at 24",which is very osagelike in compression. I then gave her a heat treat,then cleaned her up n took a lil more weight off before bracing it for the first time,then brought it out to full draw in which it lost an inch+. I then gave it a nice light temper. Then sanded her down n removed some wood from my sides to meet my target mass n drop the draw weight back down. And that worked like a charm for this wood,and gave me excellent results in the end.

Thanks sharpend,have fun experimenting with what you found. It might be different from what this is?

Offline Will H

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:25 am »
Oh man that's nice! I like that buckthorn! Very cool!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56:49 am »
Dang, that is a sweet looking bow!  I gotta get my hands on some buckthorn.  Looks like a good one - great craftsmanship, as usual.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »
Good job Chris !!
I hope to get my hands on some of that stuff !
Don't let me come home from Marshall without it !!
Take care my friend !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 09:33:14 am »
Thanks will...thanks howard

Thanks Guy...and what wood you do with a stave if ya got one?...lol :laugh:

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 03:34:47 pm »
Wow that's a charater laden straight stick blackhawk.Looks like a weiner.You better watch out though if you heat treat it the third time it might talk back to ya.If you say it compares close to osage it's got to be something.That cleaned up really nice.Very nice shooter there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline druid

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »
Great character and finish. I think outer limbs could do more work, they are a bit stiff at ful draw?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
Love it, very sweet lines. Congratulations

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
Thanks ed....nuttins close to osage,but this stave was about as close as you can get  ;)...usually. I just temper once before the bow takes any set and where you wood brace the bow for the first time. I'm not a fan of overcooking wood and doing it too many times either. The second time it was just real light till it started to change into that yellow colour,then moved my gun.

Thanks Druid...I think the prop twist,character,n a sublte reflex mid limb in the top limb might be messin with ya. That's why I showed the tiller from both ways. I did tiller it on purpose to be getting a lil more bend than usual in the inner limbs than I normally would. I know pics tell a lot,but sometimes it can be tough without seeing it bend in person. Especially a character. Only the last 5" of the tips are stiff.  ;)

Thanks keenan