Author Topic: Designated handyman  (Read 1612 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Designated handyman
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:27:36 am »
Does anyone ever run into the extra chores you get once people around you find out that you are making bows?I'm not really complaining that much because they are friends of mine.I'm supposed to hoop a beaver,fix a coverall,make a back scratcher,mount deer horns, and I'm sure the list will continue to grow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Designated handyman
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:27 am »
Once I started making Euro mounts I had friends and relatives dropping their bucks off for me to do.  I exchange my time doing the mount for their time helping cut and haul bow wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:20:26 am »
I don't think it is just about the bowmaking....  our society is filling up with a bunch of button pushing softies that can't build, fix, DO, damn near anything and once people find out that you are even a little capable with your hands, they will swarm all over you with things for you to do. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »
You bet fellas.....I say what comes around goes around.The Lord helps those who help themselves too.I'll defiinitely help if I see an effort made but to bring it to me like I'm supposed to be grateful their letting me fix something for them is ridiculus.
BowEd
Ed

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »
  I've  been  a  plumber hvac man and a head building maintenance man  for well  over  30 years,,,,,,this  little square  box couldn't hold  all  the  stories  I have!!!!  but  the   really   cool  thing is,,,,,,,when  I  have  a  project at  home,,,,,,,,the  birds  don't  even  chirp (I love to  work alone),,,,,all  in  all  enjoy it!!!!   JeffW

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:33 am »
I seem to end up processing a half dozen deer every year when people find out my father was a meat cutter all his life.  Fact is, he refused to show me how to cut anything up, not even a chicken.  Oops, I tell a lie.  He showed me how to filet a fish.  He hated fish.

I hope friends of mine don't look too closely at the wrapped meat they take home.  I only drew one deer tag and it's archery.  Anyone see the poor grouping I posted online earlier?  I may be on am involuntary anti-Adkins diet this winter.  Got any recipes for cooking pine cones?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 04:10:57 am »
Isn't it more a case of  you being a curious , intelligent person that's good with tools and able to tackle any task at hand with confidence that started you into bowmaking? Natural progression .

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:15 am »
Yes you got to throw a bunch of more persistance than smarts in there too..   LOL.
Figured you might get after a speed goat JW with that Plain Jane bow.Let me know how early of a winter we're going to get OK?Snowing up in North Dakota already.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »
Most of the state has antelope populations 80-90 percent lower than normal.  I'd have better luck archery hunting jackelopes under a full moon. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.