Author Topic: Bly gum  (Read 1786 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Bly gum
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:51 am »
Anybody know the real name of it and if its good for bows?  Also is paper birch good for bows?  I'm clearing out a chunk of land and my dad said one tree was bly gum adn the ofther was 7 layer bark tree.  The 7 layer looks like paper birch to me.  IF they are good for bows, I will cut some for staves, along with teh red oak, white, oak and hickory that I found.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bly gum
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:26 am »
The names bly gum and 7 layer are both common names and without the botanical name we don't really know what they are. If the 7 layer is truely paper bark birch it is marginal for selfbows. I think I'd stick with the hickory and oaks unless you just wanted to experiment with these other woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Bly gum
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »
Maybe "blue gum"? That would be Eucalyptus globulus.  Bly gum sounds jibberish.
Paper birch (Betula papyrifera) can make a bow. Not so great in compression, like most birches. Requires a design that is somewhat overbuilt. I'd rather use a piece of red oak, white oak or hickory any time!

Use the search function to get an idea about questions, successful bows, and designs that have been used in the past for any particular wood species.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286