Author Topic: Bugling Elk  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Bugling Elk
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
My Son In Law came out from Oregon to ride along elk hunting with me. We spent four days in the hills.  I am old so have been an elk hunter for many years as a guide, outfitter, and meat provider for my family.  I cannot recall ever having so many days in a row of so many bugling elk.  It is almost impossible to draw a bull tag in our area although Mike Hawk Huston drew three tags on a group tag draw.  I can have three cow tags and the idea was to harvest one cow for the trip back to Oregon.  We used to spend a week in Yellowstone after Labor day fishing and watching the elk in open meadows do their fall mating rituals.  There were no store bout bugles much less cow calls back then (40s) so we made bugles out of garden hoses.  I learned a lot about calling elk in those days.  This time, the first bull we encountered was a seven point with a 400" plus rack.  With him were two six points and a raghorn 5point with two of them even in my bow range.  I still get the willies when a monster bull lets out a deep roaring scream!  That was just the start as we called in bulls mornings and late evenings every day!  One big seven point came in on a dead run to 30 yards before he stopped and made a long and loud challenge.  He finally scented us and left as fast as he came in.  We hiked one morning to the top of the mountain and sat for an hour as a huge herd of elk climbed out of a valley to the crest and into the heavy timber.  There was not a single minute when there wasn't a bull  making his challenge. I regret not having a camera and a sound recorder when that happened.  We pulled a sneak on a six point bull to withing 10 feet while he was feeding and all I could think about was where was my bow.  He smelled like a bull in rut!  I believe there are three types of bulls you call to:  a herd bull which will answer in a deep voice and you have to go to him which is hard to do because of the cows.  There are the wan ta bes, rag horns, smaller mature bulls, and spikes.  You have to go to them and be careful as they usually sneak away if your bugle seems to deep!  Then there is the bull you can call in and he is ready to fight for the herd bull's harem.  Those bulls end up as trophies on a hunters wall. We had a nice six point bull come in 60 yards below us on a steep and wooded hill side.  He was there for a very long time displaying his rack, but hung up and not coming closer.  While we lay there watching him a spike came in to 15feet and even though he looked us over he stayed until I actually thought of spooking him.  When he did leave in big crash, the six point disappeared.  We finally got serious and harvested a fat cow for the Oregon folks.  Two days later I took my wife back to the mountain and we had two close encounters and some more long periods of continuous bugling!  Makes me appreciate being able to have such an experience as most people have never even heard a real live bull bugle.  As Pappy says, "life is good"!  Bet Pappy won't want another elk hide to tan as the last one was some kind of work!  Thanks for reading!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Stoker

Re: Bugling Elk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »
Great story thanks for sharing
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »
Joe, I enjoyed reading your story as we have just finished a very exciting season here in Oregon with allot of screaming bulls. I can tell just by reading you know what you are doing as a caller and hunter. few people realize how diverse the elk language is and how different bulls will respond. We had multiple times where rookies would get all excited and start calling like crazy and shut the bull down or run him off with the wrong call.I shared some of our hunt over in the hunting section if you want to read.
 We don't have the populations that you have and it's smaller groups that we are usually playing with where I hunt. but still a heck of fun time.

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »
Great story Joe you should be writing to the magazine. I'd by you're memoirs in a second. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:34 pm »
good stuff Joe.
thanks for taking the time to post!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:40:46 am »
Great story Joe,love reading your stuff, and yes I am about over the last one and would love to have another,that is if you will come back and visit and bring it. ;) ;D That one keeps we warn at night, it is my blanket on my bed at the cabin.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:48:44 am »
Keenan:  Your elk pictures and hunting experience was a fun read and reminded me of my hunts around Reedsport when I taught school there.  Nothing like close encounters with big bulls.  Reedsport is where my bow building started.  Also hunted Mt. St. Helens.  Are you and your lovely wife going to make it to the Classic?  Am hoping to make it this year with my supervise along.  Its hard for us both to be gone at the same time!  5 dollar fuel makes for an expensive trip!  Still hope to own one of your bows someday!  A/Ho Joe

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:59:59 am »
Pappy:  Have the hide in the salt and hope to get a couple more.  Did a better job skinning on this one!  Forgot to mention I found a nice big six point rack that I hope to bring to the classic this year.  The game and fish planted some Meriams west of here in the mountains 4 or 5 years ago and they have managed to spread through the mountains.  This is high rough country and its amazing they can survive.  We saw three jakes on the mountain and they were not afraid at all.  The next day we saw a hen with two half grown chicks!  Sure love seeing them survive.  The success of your hunt is amazing and Hunter scored big time.  He and Josiah Huston would make a good hunting pair!  Hello to Miss Joanie!  A/Ho Joe