Author Topic: Hickory Sapwood?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline nlester

Hickory Sapwood?
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:01 am »
I'm planning on making a shorty.  I stripped the bark off and the cambrium, with hopes of leaving a little cambrium on for camo....well, I had some critters that bored paths through the sapwood. Not, down, but across the wood.  I went ahead and took it down past the boring and still had plenty of sapwood left.  Will this be OK unbacked or will I need to back it? 

blackhawk

Re: Hickory Sapwood?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:56 am »
Should be fine...its hickory

Offline nlester

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:39 am »
Should be fine...its hickory
That's what I was thinking and that was the answer I was hoping for.  ;D  Thanks!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »
Technically, hickory doesn't have true sapwood or heartwood. At least not something you can easily distinguish based on color. Instead, whitewoods such as maple, ash and hickory have what is called false heartwood. Older trees develop a darker colored core, but the lighter colored wood is usually prevailing. The false heartwood may be slightly weaker than the whiter wood surrounding it, but it may not be necessarily too weak for a bow. Some false heartwood in your bow won't hurt and just adds character.
As long as you don't see any burrows left in the back of the bow, you should be fine. No matter how many rings you've removed, as long as the back is still in one ring more or less, it will be fine. Hickory is outstanding in tensile strength, so a backing will not be needed unless the back is violated by the critters or by your unproficiency in following a growth ring.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »
All good advice but unless I was sure I followed a ring on the back I would back it with rawhide on something similar. Just for insurance,don't want any splinters to pop up. Hickory is tough for sure but it can be broke,I have proved that more than once. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good