Author Topic: 1st heat treat questions  (Read 1974 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
1st heat treat questions
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »
OK...I have a white oak molle style bow that I have tillered to about 50# at 22". I have read that this might be a good time to heat treat so I just finished a light toasting of the belly (just enough to barely tell a color change). I know the bow is supposed to lose some moisture from the heat treat. I'm not in a hurry to complete the tillering and I want to apply a rawhide back prior to adding snakeskin. My question is this...how will adding moist rawhide to the back of a bow that the belly has just been heat treated resulting in a loss of moisture effect the bow? Are there any precautions I should take? If I put the rawhide on overnight will the bow be ready to tiller tomorrow or should I wait a few days?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JonW

Re: 1st heat treat questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:36:36 pm »
Kenny I would give the bow at least two days after the rawhide. The rawhide and bow both need time to cure.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:17 pm »
The overall moisture loss from heat-treating is actually very low.  The problem is that the heat-treating process dries out the surface wood too much and that is not good for the back, the reason for letting the wood hydrate a bit after the heat-treating process.

You realize that you won't be able to do any more heat-treating after you put on the rawhide.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »
Yeah, I guess I should wait on the rawhide till I'm farther along. I guess that is another good reason to have more than one going at at time.  ;)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »
When you are ready to add the rawhide put a thin layer of TBIII down first and let it cure completely. This will act as a moisture barrier for when you add the rawhide and will help prevent any of the moisture from the rawhide or glue enter the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »
I read that before, Pat, but completely forgot about it. I guess I'm kinda thick sometimes. Thanks for reminding me.