Author Topic: Site name?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Guessed

Site name?
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »
Years ago, through some site like this I found some Native anthropology site where you could search stuff, I searched "bow" and a bunch of bows turned up. Can someone post the link to the site? I've been going nuts trying to google it, I can't find it.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Site name?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »
It may not exist anymore.  Many of the sites I used to go to years ago are gone.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:22:51 pm »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »
You might also try the Smithsonian website also or the Museum of the American Indians, also in Washington, DC.
  Billy Berger did a 6 part article in Primitive Archer Magazine on Native bows of North America a few years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:33 pm »
Also search out the Charles E. Grayson Collection at the University of Columbia Museum of Anthropology.  Dr. Grayson's collection is the most complete collection from across the globe. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Guessed

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »
Ah, thank you sonny. Yes, that was the site.  I haven't been to this place in almost 2 years, which is also the last time I was home in Ontario.

This being Ontario and lots of Native people around I asked some of the older ones about bows, they said they used "tamarack." It's apparently very hard to find a straight tree but that's one of the woods they used.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:12:44 pm »
I know tamarack grows pretty strait hear in the Northwest  unless they are two different types. I also heard about a bow from up that way made from tamarack and they used some type of sinue cord and lashed it to the back didnt increase draw wt much but supposedly increased the speed quite a bit.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:24:39 pm »
You can look up some stuff on the Smithsonian site. http://www.nmai.si.edu/searchcollections/results.aspx?catids=0&objtypeid=Hunting%2fFishing%2fWarfare%7cBow+and+arrow&src=1-4We visited the native american museum last year. Lots of cool stuff!