Author Topic: Simple first homemade knife  (Read 2228 times)

Offline MattX13

Simple first homemade knife
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:06:37 am »
Hi folks. I just recently picked up an old Bear 45# recurve bow and have become very interested in making my own bows, arrows, etc. I've always been into outdoor life, hunting, fishing, survival. My dad saw Primitive Archer on the newsstand and got me a copy. I'm now subscribed and love it. I don't get much hunting time in right now, but I'm hoping to change that.

Anyway, I've been toying around with blacksmithing, and knife making in particular. Here is a small hunter / skinner I just finished yesterday. I know it looks a little rough, that was the intention. If it was for sale or a gift I'd polish the heck out of it and make it look like chrome, but I made this for me to use. I messed up just a little on the file work on the spine. I was tired and kept working when I should have put it down for the night, but it looks ok for a knife that's going to be used.

It's around 8" overall with approximately 4" of cutting edge to the blade. It's made from an old mower blade off of a tractor, so it's pretty thick. 7/32" to be exact. I heat treated it and quenched it in oil. It seems pretty tough, and seems like it will hold an edge after the testing I've done so far. I'm going to abuse it and see what happens, so I can learn to make the next one even better. I didn't bother with a nice handle, and just wrapped this one with 2 layers of desert camo paracord. I'll make a sheath for it next. I saw a couple of videos of people making sheaths out of PVC pipe by heating and shaping it, and I want to try that.

Anyway, here it is.

Matt

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Simple first homemade knife
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »
Cool knife, and welcome to the forum!

How long till the paracord gets all full of blood and guts?  >:D ;)

Offline MattX13

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:29 pm »
Thanks. Lol. Probably not very long. I thought about using tool dip over the paracord to protect it. Then if the paracord was needed in a survival situation, just peel the tool dip coating off and unravel it.

Just had an idea! I use Thompsons Waterseal in a spray bottle to waterproof some of my gear. I might try dipping the handle in that and see how well it repels blood and other things.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:43 pm »
Matt,

You may want to check out paleo planet (another primitive website) they have a pretty extensive metal working forum. Welcome to the site, lots to learn if you are just getting started. Nice knife!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline MattX13

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 01:28:06 am »
Awesome, thanks. Just pulled it up, that's right up my alley.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:42:01 am »
Nice knife.  I usually go for the rustic look and give the blade some aging.  As for the mess up on the filework, just call that a random pattern.  Nobody will know the differnce.