Author Topic: is it possible  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Blacktail

is it possible
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:38:39 pm »
is it possible to cut splices out of billets WITH OUT a band saw...i tried once before and it come out like crap...is there any advise on how to do it right...thanks john

Offline driftingrz

Re: is it possible
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »
Ive been thinking alot about this lately. Havjng no shop/garage or storage space even a small bandsaw is out of the question.. trying to think of a way to do it cleanly with a jigsaw.. or possibly handtools

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
Ive got some decent hand saws.
You know the ones for cutting dovetails, tenons and what not.
There is some crazy joinery done by hand.

You could certainly do it with those.

Ive been interested in billets lately too.
Clean wood more than 40" or so is hard to come by around here...

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:05 am »
I'm thinking a good quality hand backsaw would work better for most than a buzzsaw. Patience, control,  and more time not to screw things up.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:43:41 am »
Try a Japanese style saw. That's all I've used since I first tried them. Quick cutting ,small kerf, easy to get it to cut a clean tearout free line exactly where you want it to go. It's what I use when you cant get a machine to do the required task(long compound scarf joints etc.)The price has really come down on them too.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:03 am »
Japanese saw and some steaming and clamping if you are unsteady.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:45:22 am »
Its possible, I have done it many times, with boards and billets. I use a japanese saw, but a good western rip  tenon saw with more than 4" depth of cut would be good too.

The secret is in the marking out. I leave the back crowned on the billet, and carefully square up the sides and belly with planes, rasps, etc.
I mark the splice on the back,  and  then project with a square onto the  belly side. This is important, because with a bandsaw you can get away with just marking the back, as a well set up saw will cut square. With a handsaw cutting from just one side on a thick bit of timber it is incredibly hard to insure square cuts.
Instead start on the back, top, follow the line down at an angle so you are not cutting the belly side blind.  Then flip the sides around and do the belly the same way. Lines on both sides, and the top  are now cut with a hidden pyramid of wood still in the centre. Now saw down , the hidden pyramid,using the cuts to guide the saw, then the waste will pop out.
If your splice turns out too tight, you will have to geta thin rasp or file and work the splice, checking the fit, holding it up to the light to see gaps.
Don't force the billets together if they aren't ready as this can cause a split. Putting a clamp at the fades when tapping the billets home will help prevent this happening.
Use a good quality gap filling glue like epoxy or urac.
                                                                                         Hamish.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 05:27:25 am »
I can't do it (yet), but see this from 11.35 onward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2p019Yb60&feature=relmfu

It seems real easy  :P
Don't shoot!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:12:44 am »
YES!
Definitely, I cut 'em by bandsaw and they are still crap >:( and I have to work them by hand to get the fit right.
Obviously it's more work, but the result is directly proportional to the amount of time/effort/skill.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.