Author Topic: New Jatoba Bow...  (Read 11815 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: New Jatoba Bow...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 10:41:47 am »
OK Guys... a little help here...in the full draw pics of my two finished bows, it appears that in BOTH bows I have the stiffer limb on top....even tho the tiller shows 1/8 - 1.4" positive on the upper at the fades. Am I just not quite finessing the tiller in the outer half of the limb or what?

AM I correct in saying that you want the strong limb on the bottom? ??? See I'm still in the learning stages here...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:42:42 am by Easternarcher »

Offline snedeker

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:56:23 am »
the outer halfs of your limbs are a little on the stiff side, but its working for you.  Next time you can try to even it out a little more - none of this is set in stone, flow with it and try different strategies.

I always forget too abotu which limb for bottom.

I got a Jatooba board 4 years ago and cut 3 slats out of it,  did one with hickory that held together, adn also had several frets.

The to others exploded during tillering with little explanation, although back in those days I was rushing tillering and not excercising the piece enough.

Your tips look a lot like mine.

Dave

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 11:46:45 am »
I had bookmarked your fine bow into my BOM files for Sept but didn't mention it.  Looking forward to seeing this one during Sept Backed BOM next week.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 11:50:34 am »
Thanks OLDBOW...the honour is mine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 01:06:53 pm »
With wood bows you have to be at full draw before you can see propper tiller. At brace height you can't hardly tell anything. Generally the stiffer limb should be at the bottom.
   I have started setting my bows symetrical with the handle in the center of the stave and I don't do anything with the handle area until I have finished the tillering and shot the bow a few times. This way, if necessary, I can switch the top for the bottom limb.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 01:09:32 pm »
From your full draw pic it does look like the outter 2/3 of the top limb is not bending much. Try to get even bending from just past the fades to about 6" from the tips.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 01:27:07 pm »
From your full draw pic it does look like the outter 2/3 of the top limb is not bending much. Try to get even bending from just past the fades to about 6" from the tips.   Pat

Pat, I used a walkietalkie, but must have missed that somehow....although I remember quitting early cuz I wanted to keep in the legal hunting weight range. I'll do better next time. ::)