Author Topic: Potential bow wood  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
Potential bow wood
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Yesterday I was given a seven foot hickory log that was about six and a half inches in diameter. I quartered it and stripped off the bark and sealed the back and ends with Elmer's glue. The staves are seven feet long by three inches wide by two-two and a half inches deep. Can anyone tell me approxamently how long they need to dry before I can start working them? I'm in north mid Georgia about tweentys minutes south of Atlanta. Still in the 80's here.
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Potential bow wood
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »
Inside, six months to a year, as they are. Reduce them close to the thickness you want in the limbs, three to six months. Do that and leave them in a car on sunny days or put them in a box with a 90 watt laight bulb (can't buy 100s anymore, the extra 10watts was going to kill the earth) and a month or two might do it.

BTW, with hickory, you didn't need to seal the back.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »
You can work on them tomorrow morning.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »
Got a hot box? If not find a nice warm low humidity spot to let it dry. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:32 pm »
How about my attic?  Been looking for plans how to build hot box. No luck yet.
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
Its usually a good idea to let the wood dry a little first before going into a hotbox. Being a little green it will want to warp and shrink anyway.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
I am in Newnan brother..hickory needs to be inside around here.do not put in attic...airconditioned is the best place for them..if left outside they will never get under 15%..you can reduce them to roughed out bows and let sit for a few weeks inside...each time you work them bring them back inside...I love hickory ...will make a awesome bow...gut...

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:26:07 pm »
Thanks gutpile. Will rough trim then put inside. If your in newnan. We need to hook up. I have some Osage that someone other than me should be able to make a bow or two out of.

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »
Temps, humidity, angle of the sun, and altitude can all have critical effects on curing.  Research has shown that hickory makes great bows in dryer climates such as the Black Hills of western South Dakota.  In fact, the combination of factors that make the best cured hickory also happen to occur right in the Black Hills, also.  If you would like to ship those up here I will store them in my shop for you.  Feel free to drop in anytime you want to work on a bow.

I feel it really is best to let the staves cure slowly the first month or more before "forcing" the stave.  In your more humid conditions maybe you can get away without sealing the backs, but I've found even osage that has cured several years will check on the back when I chase the growthring if I don't give it time to come to a stable relative humidity here.  You got some nice looking hick, mister!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »
sounds good...where in PC are you?..

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »
Across the street from glenloch pool and rec. center. Just off of the parkway.

Peachtree City, Georgia