Author Topic: Cutting osage and mulberry  (Read 1733 times)

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
Cutting osage and mulberry
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »
When is the best time of year to cut osage and mulberry.I have heard both ways.It would be easier to get bark off this time of year.Thanks ahead of time for help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cutting osage and mulberry
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »
The best time to cut is when you have time to cut.  ;)   With both osage and mulberry the heartwood is what you make bows from(although sapwood can be used with both) so the time of year really doesn't matter. If you remover the bark from either you should also remove the sapwood of it will check even if you seal the back. In some cases those checks will go into the heartwood also.
 I prefer winter to harvest these woods because the temp is more condusive and fewer bugs and snakes to deal with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »
I agree with Pat. When ever you get the time and help if you can. Just make sure you spray them with insecticide if cut during spring and summmer. And if you remove the bark take the sap off no matter when you cut it. Dean

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:34:09 pm »
I have never cut mullberry, but I have cut a lot of osage.  I like to cut it between fall and winter.  It seems like it checks faster if you cut it in the summer.  Plus, hauling osage in 90 degree heat isn't much fun  :P  It makes no difference with the bark.  You either leave it on or remove it with the sapwood.  Seal the ends as soon as you can and seal the back if you take the bark and sapwood off.  Post pics of your harvest. 

Pat and Dean answered while I was typing, but I'll give you my two cents worth also.  Its pretty much the same as they said.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »
My motto is "take it when ya can get it".

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »
Yes Sir,

Take it when you can get it.
But if you can plan it out for for Winter, the sap will be down and you get an extra full Late Wood Growth Ring to work with... :)

Nice thing about Mulberry, you can Peel the bark, with some effort, with a hatchet or strong knife.
It will come off in big thick chunks if you peel it fresh.
Wether you take the sap wood off or not, Seal the Heck out of the back and ends.

Taken in the winter Osage will tend to check less even if you leave the sapwood on.
But the best way is to take off the sap wood as well.
Then seal the Heck outa it...

:)

-gus

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:39:44 pm »
I agree with all of the above. I prefer however to cut it i(osage)n the winter for a number of reasons.

1. the snakes and ticks and bugs are gone in the winter
2.Its easier to see good trunks of osage in the winter due to no foliage
3.You don't sweat as much when its cooler
4.Theres less sap juice consequently my chain saw does'nt get as much gumminess on it
5. When you process it (debark)  when its cooler its not as unenjoyable.

Pertaining to reason number 5....I prefer to debark as soon as possible because
1.You don't have to worry about it getting buggy
2.The sapwood is easier(not easy but easier) to remove when its not rock hard.
3. I figure the sooner I get it processed into stave form and put away the sooner it will cure and then consequently the sooner I may be able to work with it.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter. Now as far as cutting it when you have the chance I agree, but if you have a choice as to when to cut, I think these reasons are sound logic if you think about it. Hope this helps someone.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »
I agree with Sidewinder about debarking them as soon as you can.  In addition to his points, it makes them take up less storage room and they make less of a mess.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »
Thanks for all of the help guys.Think I will wait for cooler weather.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »
I've worked some of Sidewinder's debarked down to heartwood staves.  Lemme tell you, it is a joy to work compared to taking off bark and sapwood that has had a couple years to cure out!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.