Author Topic: White oak opinions  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Shondy55

White oak opinions
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
hey guys, im going to start making a bow out of a white oak board.  I'm trying to get it done soon so i can hunt with it.  do you have any suggestions on what style of bow i should make? i was thinking something around 60inches. any suggestions?? thanks!!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline k-hat

Re: White oak opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:47 pm »
I would verify first that it is definitely white oak.  If it is, then you can treat it like hickory from what I hear.  I think it actually breaks after hickory, but is prone to set.  I think 60" would be pushing it for a stiff-handle (would get an inordinate amount of set, assuming 28" draw), but for bendy-handle you're good to go.  I would go with a more eastern woodlands style, keep the width around 1.75 - 2" (maybe as narrow as 1.5")for at least half the limb length, then taper the width to about 3/8" or 1/2" nocks.  Slight belly taper from fade to where the width starts to taper.  My 2cents :)

Oh, i would also give the belly a good tempering.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »
I never worked with white oak but I would make a simple pyramid design. I would make the bow longer but I don't know your drawlength.

I think if you tell us your drawlength and drawweight we can help you better.

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:49 pm »
i draw right around 29inch
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »
K-hat nailed it . . . a bend in the handle D bow!  I'd make it about 68 or 69 inches just to be on the safe side.  I love the oaks!  I made a bend in the handle white oak bow for my pastor who is 5'4".  I tuned it to his 26 in draw length, going to 27 inches in case he hiccuped.  The bow was 64 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, and pulled 45 lbs . . . His son who is a tad over six feet tall drew it . . . Yup, you guessed it - SNAP!!!  Anyway . . . yes white oak makes a fine bow!

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »
i use it all the time, you can go bendy handle, or for a 29" draw 64" ntn, 1 3/4" wide at the fades down to half inch tip', stiff handle pyramid style bow, 4" handle, 2" fades with a straight thickness taper, i cut my pyramids out on a tablesaw, back against the fence, thickness of just under 1/2" and cut just to the start of the fades, then i finish the rest of the cuts on a band saw, this should easilly get you a hunting weight bow of 50# plus, good luck whatever style ya go with, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:55 am »
I have yet to be disappointed by white oak, board or stave.  Heat tempering really brings out its potential.  Josh

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:57 am »
I think you will be fine with a 62-64" long bow with a stiff handle.  Give it a slow, thorough heat treating on the belly and induce a couple inches of reflex to the limbs as you heat it, and you will be surprised what a fine bow white oak will produce.  The stuff won't break unless you do something outrageous to it..
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:17 am »
Good bow wood. Very hard to break. Double your draw and add 20% and a bend in the handle bow is a good way to start. hr, how did you measure your draw length? My site has bow making info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58:35 pm »
I measured mine by drawing an arrow and having someone mark the arrow at the back of the bow.  I then measure from the deepest part of the arrow nock to the mark on the arrow. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi