Author Topic: trouble choosing  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
trouble choosing
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »
so today is the first day of deer/elk season here in NW Oregon and im having a hard time deciding which bow to take!
since all my bows are relatively short, i can move easily through the thick forest. but they all shoot differently and have there own special advantages. but here's the problem. when i make a bow whether its for me or someone else i fall in love with it, and have a hard time letting them go. How could you not? the way the grain flows and the sweet bends and the amount of energy stored in such a small piece of wood, the simple fact is that its a glorious piece of art (not just referring the art that's actually painted on of course). produced not only for the satisfaction of bringing down large game. but the way the arrow flies through the air, feeling like an extension of your own body.
makes it hard for me to choose ONE...
anyone else have this problem?

-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: trouble choosing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »
No.

The better the bow turns out, the more likely I am to suddenly find someone that needs it more than me.   >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:41:39 pm »
No.

The better the bow turns out, the more likely I am to suddenly find someone that needs it more than me.   >:(

i wasnt saying that i hoard all the good bows for myself. in fact the look on a friends face when he receives the bow makes it easy, and enjoyable to hand off.
i probably only have maybe 6 bows out of 50 that ive ever made. i apologize if i offended you in some way.
-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »
Sheesh, stop being a pine cone!

I'm whining about how I always seem to end up shooting someone else's bow.  That may change this year since I finished Plain Jane.  She just seems to love it when I hold her. 

What has me concerned is your obvious lack of priorities...it's opening day of deer and elk season and you are ONLINE with us, a bunch of elk tagless lowlifes?  Take one for the team, get out there and make us all proud of you!  Just make sure whatever bow you choose is in the photo with your big pine cone eating ear-to-ear grin and whatever game you put on the ground.  Elk and selfbows, does it get any better!?!?*

*Rhetorical queston, we all know the addition of bacon makes everything better. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »
came back for some lunch (dont hunt to far from the house) got on PA and typed that up lol heading back out in a few. lol

ever put bacon on smores???? best thing ever!

-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »
Bacon smores?????? What are you smokin g out there in the dark timber????

Im with you on the bow thing. Thats why I will never, ever sell bows or take "orders" for them. Some simply cant leave my possesion after I get so far into them. Its too hard to give a stave all you got only to exchange it for cash..........heck with that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »
Elk close enough to the house that you can pop back in for lunch and a bit of online gloating about being able to hunt elk close to home?

If it weren't for the comment about bacon 'smores I would begin a campaign to have you banned as an unrepentant pine cone.

Can't wait to see your pictures with a red arrow and big ol' piney grin!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:31:30 pm »
Bacon smores?????? What are you smokin g out there in the dark timber????

try it man! and you will never have regular smores again.
Elk close enough to the house that you can pop back in for lunch and a bit of online gloating about being able to hunt elk close to home?

If it weren't for the comment about bacon 'smores I would begin a campaign to have you banned as an unrepentant pine cone.

Can't wait to see your pictures with a red arrow and big ol' piney grin!

we have a lot of crab apple trees they like to visit, thats all.  ;D
i hope i get one this year last year. last year they eluded me, untill the last day......they caught my sent and took off like a shot  :'(

but then again its not hard to track a heard of 30+ elk ;D (ok now im gloating, start the campaign lol)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »
95 degrees here right now.  Hard (for me) to get into that hunting frame of mind while we are surviving the blast furnace summer always offers up in August.  But as I read your post this morning, for just a brief second, I was trailing those Elk in the cool mountain air.  Fall is just around the corner.  Good luck and post some picks so all the less fortunate among us can hunt vicariously....fall's just around the corner.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 05:43:03 pm »
I can relate to that choosing issue Bryce. I build mine to hunt and when I get a good one made I really want to take something with it,
problem is it can be difficult to accomplish. Right now I have 5 favorites and I really want to take a deer with each one of them and I'm
not that good of a hunter or that lucky to have that kind of success in one season. By next year I'll probably have 5 more special bows
made that I'll really want to take something with, that will require me to now take 8-10 deer depending on how this season goes.

This will continue to escalate out of control until I quit making bows ............. unless I start hunting neighborhood feral cats to reach
my goal. Gotta go, just saw one slinking through the backyard.

Greg

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
Those cats need to go. ( sorry cat lovers)

95 degrees??!! Where you at?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
Boerne By God Texas.  Little Hill Country town about an hour north and west of San Antone.  Guadalupe River is at the end of our road.  Lot's of deer, Whitetail and Axis.  It's nothing to have 20-25 deer (Hill Country deer, they're small, but they're spectacular!) eating on my shrubs at any one time.   Alas, not a single elk anywhere!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:57 pm »
No kidding, I'm in spring branch, gadalupe river is down the road from me to  :D
I like free stuff.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 11:43:13 pm »
Well Newindian, we'll have to do some stump shooting together sometime.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 11:50:43 pm »
Opening day??? That's it, some how I have to convince the wife and kids to move! I gotta wait till October 1. >:(

Bacon on smores :o Well I cant say no to bacon.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI