Author Topic: Preparing billets for a bamboo backing?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Preparing billets for a bamboo backing?
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »
I got some Oregon Yew billets a while back but the sap wood has bug damage. I optomistically tried to make an ELB from 2 of the skinnier billets but it exploded on the tiller this morning, the sapwood had predictably parted at a bug hole >:(
Here's a link to the video of it going BANG  ;D
http://www.bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/tricky-tillering.html
I'm planning take off the sapwood and bamboo back the next pair of biilets, but do I try to follow the grain in the heart wood to some extent to maintan some character and give better structural integrity, or just take it down flat?
Is it best to use bandsaw, table saw or maybe make a fancy jig to utilise a power planer or belt sander. Maybe water jet or laser ::) ?
I'm really a self bow sorta guy so all help gratefully received.
Del
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:27:36 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Preparing billets for a bamboo backing?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:02:19 pm »
Band saw would probably be most effective.  You can make a flattened surface but still follow to some extent the contours of the wood grain.  A nicely thinned bamboo backing will conform to gentle curves.  Gluing with IRAC or Resorcinol will fill any small gaps.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »
Flat .
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:08 pm »
flat Del, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
Cheers guys.
I tried to lay out a straight line on the billets, but found it would leave the heartwood a bit thin in parts (they aren't very chunky billets), so I've run it through with a few gentle curves, not actually following the fine ripples of grain, but following slight curve of the billet.
I shall spend ages getting it clean and flat (but unduating) before I glue up. Might have to buy a belt sander to thin the boo first.
I'm assuming it's a bit laborious to do it by hand?
Del

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »
I do most of my thinning of boo on the band saw.  You cut even with one outer edge, then the other, then run down the middle to join them fairly flat.  Its a little tricky but works fast.  Then I finish thinning with a belt sander.

If you have a jointer that works great too.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:04 pm »
I go flat. 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »
Del, sorry for your tough luck on that one but I have to say I was laughing aloud at your narrative and the video of you with the hat and glasses and giving the thumbs up prior to pulling the bow. That was some funny stuff man! Now I want you to know that I'm only laughing because I'm sure you can take it. Like the rest of us I'm sure thats not the first time thats happened to you and if it's gonna happen anyway why not let your friends see it for their amusement too. Thanks for posting.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:34 pm »
Oh Del sorry I got off subject, went straight to the video then posted reply before I read the rest of your post. Preparing billets for bamboo, I have no idea about. I'm a selfbow guy also. Now blowing up bows on the tiller tree well lets just say I have some experience there. Hope the bamboo works for you, I'm sure you make it nice.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
Cheers Greg,
Glad you liked the style of my writing, I try to keep it funny.
It's quite fun doing it, and the time I spend taking pics and writing it up,gives me my thinking time that helps stop me from screwing up too much!
Del

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:38 pm »
I use a jointer planer and either remove all the sapwood or remove as much of it as I can.  I have done it by hand with a scraper before but it is a LOT of work.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »
 If you've not used Bamboo before , be very careful. You can plane it to a knife edge very easily . Got  more than one nasty bite , (probably should have got stitches) while hand planing it. Amazing material but very hard on blades. If you are sanding ,you may want to have a dust mask and vacuum setup to reduce the dust. I personally can't take the dust. Feels like a Porcupine crawled up my nose and is trying to back out!Good luck!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 06:56:03 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Lostarrow, I'm a bit more careful about dust these days, had a lot of sinus problems in the past, and I'll watch those sharp edges.
I'm still shopping around for a bench beltsander, found a goodish but cheap one, but they are out of stock >:(
Del