Author Topic: spiraling staves ?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

spiraling staves ?
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »
I just cut down a truckload of beautiful cascara staves. Boy was I excited! Then I split the first one and it spiraled 90 degrees. I tried the next one and it did the same thing! I just moved to Washington State from Montana where I built a million bows out of mountain maple. All of them spiraled. All I did with those was draw the design of a bow on the back, corner to corner ,so to speak, and started flinging arrows, never even backed one! I'm sure cascara would never hold up to that. I planned on backing most of these bows with rawhide anyway. Will Backing them keep them from exploding the first time I come to full draw?  Does anyone out there have suggestions for what I might do short of having a really big bonfire this winter? Any suggestions will be most appreciated. 
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline toomanyknots

Re: spiraling staves ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
I hate when that happens.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »
Have you ever tried taking the stave down to bow dimensions and then using heat to straighten and take out the twist?  I have removed upwards of 120 degrees from a particularly nasty piece of osage before.  Just heat 6-8 inches at a time and take out a few degrees of twist. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:47 pm »
yeah, I have done that, but I dread doing that to my next 100 bows. Thanks for the imput, thats probably what I'll have to do.
                                                    Dale 
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:52 am »
When this happens I typically just make a "corner to corner" bow too, no matter what wood it is. I have never had a problem yet.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:34 am »
By studying the bark of the tree you can tell if the tree is growing in a spiral. With some trees it is very easy to see and with others you really have to look but the bark tells the story.
 I did the same with a 20" sassafras I cut a few years ago. I got three straight 7' logs from that tree. When I split it out it was all spiraled. It made a very nice split rail fence.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:08 am »
Toomanyknots,

I'm pretty sure I'll try corner to corner and back with rawhide. See what happens!

Pat,

I checked out the bark before I cut the trees, but there was no indication from the bark that there would be a problem. Cascara has very smooth bark, and doesn't give away secrets about the nature of the wood.

Thanks for the input guys,  Dale

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:51 am »
I usually end up with staves that are straight for 3/4 of the wood then the only knot gives it a 90 degree turn for the rest of the bow.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley