Author Topic: Hot Box ?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline nlester

Hot Box ?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »
I just made a hot box and was wondering what size bulbs most of you use.  It's set up for 4 bulbs.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Hot Box ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
I cant remember what watt bulbs are in mine. I havnt used it for a couple of years but i do have 2 bulbs in it. I also hooked the bulbs up through a cheap dimmer switch and inserted a cheap meat thermometer through the side so i can read inside temp from the outside and adjust the temp with the dimmer switch.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »
4 x 100w should get your hot box plenty hot. Mine has 1/2" foil backed foam board insulation and it maxes out the thermostat at 168 deg. For drying bow wood I usually use a couple of 60 w bulbs and a small fan inside. I also drilled a 1" hole at the top of one end and the bottom of the other end to let out the moisture. If I'm curing glue I plug these holes with corks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nlester

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:16 pm »
I lined it with the 1/2 foil backed too.  I'm really wanting to use it for drying wood.  I was wondering about drilling holes.  Thanks for the information guys.  I appreciate the help.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:08 am »
I have 3 60 watts in one of mine and it will get it well over 110, I have it on a varable switch and can adjust the heat with that by brightening or dimming the bulbs. I don't do glue ups so that is plenty hot for me. I also have a1/2 hole in the top on both ends. My upright box I have a small catalytic heater.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good