Author Topic: Ipe and Helmsman  (Read 3649 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Ipe and Helmsman
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »
The bullseye shellac comes in a clear and amber. When I wanted to enhance the yellow in some yellow heart tips on a recent bow I used the amber. Otherwise I generally use the clear.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
i've built a few epe bows and spray poly worked just fine, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline randman

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 04:18:35 pm »
I recently had a poly problem with my trade bow. Took a week to dry. I wish I had thought of the shellac (I usually keep some spray shellac around but I had run out not long before). I've thought of trying spray lacquer. I get colored tinted lacquer for guitar finishes but I began to think I might get the tiny lacquer cracks that old guitars get after they have been taken in and out of warm and cold areas. That might only be a problem on maybe a hunting bow as target bows don't usually get exposed to the conditions a hunter would be.
Any thoughts or experience that RBLusthaus? Or anyone else who uses laquer?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »
I have not had the laquer "craze" (is that the right word), but I keep the bows covered in paste wax before going into the woods.  Not sure it gives me any extra long term protection, but I feel the wax keeps more moisture from penetrating than would otherwise be the case. 

Russ