Author Topic: Cleaning rasps/files  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Denham Archer

Cleaning rasps/files
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
I'm just wondering what y'all use to remove oxydization or rust from your tools?  I'm thinkin' CLR.  Anyone got any better ways?  Thanks

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Cleaning rasps/files
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:35:49 pm »
Soak them in some dilute ferric chloride.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
Thanks for your quick response.  First I've heard of it.  Where could I get some?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:07 am »
I get mine from Radio Shack.  It's listed as a circuit board etchant.  I haven't tried it myself because my dull files are cheap throw-aways, but I've read where several knife makers have had luck with this method on their quality files.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:56:48 am »
  USE THEM MORE
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »
 ::) ;D nice Crooked...

Cheap and easy is to get a file brush and some wd-40. Depending on what ur using the files for you might want to wipe off excess wd after applying. The silicon in it will prevent further rusting. Linseed oil will also work and is more natural.

Scott

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
On my finer rasps, I have been known to rub them with school chalk before using in order to make 'em easier to clean out the clogging.  When they load up, hit 'em with a brass brush, and re-apply the chalk. 

I also try to avoid laying my rasps on top of each other.  Great way to dull them!  I keep old computer mouse pads on the work bench for them. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 06:21:35 am »
I cut lengths of bicycle innertubes to fit over the files when I store them so they don't bang around on each other.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:09 am »
Clean as much debris as you can with a brass brush. If they have embedded wood chips, paint or foreign matter try to carefully clean it off with a small pick. Then soak them overnight, 24 hours is even better, in apple cider vinegar. Clean again with brass brush and set them out to dry.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
And more good suggestions!  I especially like the chalk and apple cider vinegar tips.  And the innertube for storage.  Thanks again!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »
To clean and sharpen,Soak em in Muriatic acid.For storage,a piece of hand line fire hose,is what i use.