Author Topic: Starting flintknapping  (Read 1428 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Starting flintknapping
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:05 am »
I would like to get into flintknapping and am interested in what books(if any) are good to have. Do i need them? or can i just look up material online? where can i get such flint? what tools would be the minimum to start?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Ncsnipe

Re: Starting flintknapping
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:35 am »
You can get a lot of info here by asking questions and also there are a lot of great vids on YouTube. Several of the videos show how to make your own tools? Jackcrafty who posts here regularly, posts some great YouTube videos. As far as knapping material, it depends on where you live. There might be material near where you live and you can always do like most and start with pressure flaking glass. You're in for some fun.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:31:52 am »
i live in Washington state. Ive read that there is some "free" flint that you can get in Washington and Oregon. im not sure what type. so your staying all i need to get started is some homemade tools and some glass?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:08:14 am »
The best material source in the northwest is the Glass Buttes down by Burns Oregon.Free for the picking.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:34:37 am »
Here's a link to flintknapping e-books that one of the guys compiled and posted on the internet - great references. Rick B

http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:49 pm »
Best book on knapping is written by my friend John Whittaker call flintknapping. Amazon has it. He lives in Iowa. This is my opinion.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »
Watch for people renovating houses and ask if they are throwing out any toilets.  Bust 'em up and call it "thunder chert", john-stone, or the scientific sounding "crapite".  Porceline works pretty good for starters, and cheap to come by!  You can also stop by a local glass shop and ask them to save scraps of 3/8" plate.  Glass is another good learning "stone". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:45 am »
Gotta say you got a way with words JW.LOL.Imagine it's gotten a little cooler by you lately.Stirring up the hunting bug heh.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed