Author Topic: Sister Staves  (Read 4984 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Sister Staves
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:31 pm »
The leatherwork, including a couple of string keepers I came up with.  The rests are small wedges of bamboo, don't know why they are so shiny in the pic.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:03:20 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »
Just looking at the pics, the top limbs of both bows look a little stiff.  They had a touch more reflex in the outer 8" of the limbs though so I think they're OK and will survive as hunting bows.

I had to shoot them both lefty because I can't pull 60lb right-handed.  They both have a touch of lean towards the righty side.  They shot really hard and my 50lb-spined arrows were showing weak.

Glad to have all the little detail stuff done.  I really enjoyed tillering these at MOJAM and its revived my interest in bowyering.  On to the next tiller!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Will H

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
Nicely done sir! I like em both :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:26:26 am »
Both bows very nicely done, handsome looking bows and tillers look real good to my eyes. To me the top limbs look to be holding their own but the busty woman in the backround of that last pic looks to need some support on her top end, kind of sagging there.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:14 am »
Both bows very nicely done, handsome looking bows and tillers look real good to my eyes. To me the top limbs look to be holding their own but the busty woman in the backround of that last pic looks to need some support on her top end, kind of sagging there.
>:D i agree on botj accounts  ;D

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:45 am »
Those both came out beautiful. Glad you finally got back to work on them.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 08:35:34 am »
Thanks all.  I'm well past my "build a bow a week" stage but for awhile I told myself I'd get back to it when I retire, but thats far enough away that I figure i'd better at least stay in practice.  I know the guys getting the bows will be happy, hopefully they'll have enough time to practice before deer season.

I'm refinishing the wooden statue.  You can't tell because of the perspective but she's about 2' tall, with strategically placed limbs coming off the trunk used that form interesting circles.  its been kinda fun sanding her down.  She's been in my shop friend for quite some time, I actually got her from my mother-in-law.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:46:57 am by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:37 am »
That's a real nice pair Lennie...

Of bows that is. ;)  The skins and rawhide really work on them. Glad that you are back to building bows again.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:22 am »
I was waiting for that statement to show up, and I'm not surprised who came up with it!  You'll notice I've done relatively more sanding in those regions.  I may bring it to MOJAM next year for a camp display.  Maybe put it in a tent and charge a nickel to see it.

I was sifting through the pile of wood the other day and was nearly killed.  Time to restack and put those staves I procured at MOJAM on bottom for curing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 03:16:41 pm »
It's a gift Lennie.. :D
Better be careful in the shop while re-stacking the project pile.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 03:51:59 am »
Great bows. (I tried the watered down titebond III for backing and am loving it - thanks for that tip)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 05:04:54 am »
Wow, nicely crafted, real sweet. They're truly cute together, don't give one away or they'll miss eachother forever.
Don't shoot!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
Very nice on both!  As far as "nothin' fancy", my favorite kind.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.