Author Topic: What is too much reflex??  (Read 17332 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: What is too much reflex??
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 08:49:54 pm »
First of all, Pearl ....................thank you very much for your comments, coming from you is very much appreciated, you have had many fine bow posts.  BOM would be unbelivable to me, this is only my 8th bow.  but I have been reading about and looking at the BOM for about 5 or 6 years.  thanks again.  Already thinking of my next bow.

I just got through putting about 80 shots thru her.   After about fifteen minutes the reflex comes right back.

So, what is my answer to " what is too much reflex??"  Good question Pearl...................At this moment 3 1/2" is definetly not too much!  I have got a sister stave to this (I'm going to have to name her) bows stave that I am all ready thinking about.

Thanks again, Pearl and all who had comments.
DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:34 am »
That is a very nice bow.  I love those stats, and that unstrung profile says fast.  I am glad you got this discussion started.  I have a vine maple stave with about 12" of reflex, half the reflex was already in the tree when I cut it,  the other half resulted during drying.  I have only tugged on it a little with a long string to check balance of limbs.  I showed it to John Strunk at the Pope and Young shoot last weekend and he said e had never tillered anything with that much relfex, but if it held together it should shoot fast.  I figure there is a reason he has never tillered anything with that much reflex...because it is too much.  He also mentioned a guy he new tackled a highly relexed stave by cutting into billets and then gluing up the splice in a way that introduced deflex at the handle.  I think that is the route I will go with this one, except maybe try steaming the deflex in. Hopefully, the deflex/reflex approach will me to keep some overall reflex, but not overstrain the limbs in tillering.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 05:20:36 am »
Nice finished article. I think the key with these staves is as Badger said earlier keep a close eye on the weight the bow is pulling at a set distance when trying to brace for the first time.
CMB - I also would cut it in the middle and splice back together with deflex at the handle. Reflex/deflex bows shoot better than any other design in my opion.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 12:36:19 pm »
Many of the heat-treated recurves I was making 10 years ago started out with at least 8" of reflex and some had 10" or more.  They are tricky to tiller till you get up to brace height and have the bow braced, tricky but not impossible.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline coaster500

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »
That bow turned out very nice!! Looks like it should pop an arrow real well :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »
Really nice work.  That bow has it all.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO