Author Topic: So what happened to Chertie?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

So what happened to Chertie?
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:23:31 am »
I was enjoying seeing her progress.

Offline chertle

Re: So what happened to Chertie?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:55 am »
Well thank you ;) Everyone talks about how great it is when summer comes so they can get out in the pit and I am finding that as my first summer in the pit comes to a close (start school in a couple weeks :-\) that I have a hard time finding time for the pit in the summer :'( Looking forward to having more time once I get back on school schedule.  As for my progress you have not missed much :P I feel like I really suck.  Will hopefully get some pics going soon.  Just went on a rock run yesterday so we refueled our pit >:D Working on the tonnage as you guys say ;)
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »
Good to hear that you haven't lost interest! I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Offline chertle

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »
Good to hear that you haven't lost interest! I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Be careful what you ask for ;) Here is some of my progress or lack there of!!!  I have turned a lot of great rock into gravel!  Here are some pieces that I think might be salvagable.  After working with them tonight the rootbeer may not become a point and the obsidian that might be silversheen busted :'(  Any suggestions for what I can do differently?  Tracy really helps me but I tend to really screw up a rock when left to my own devices!!! ??? >:D
Leslie
Indiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:27 pm »
There are lots of similar shaped chunks in my debitage.  It'll come. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline chertle

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:27 pm »
Hey George!!  One thing that I am happy with is my flute on that broken piece ;) What do ya think?  Of course it broke while I was doing the second flute to remove a big mass but....still a sweet flute :P
Leslie
Indiana

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:21 pm »
Gstoneberg is right. One day you'll just get it and turn out a nice one. It just takes time and practice. The good thing is you are able to get your rock instead of buying it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:16 pm »
It does look like a nice flute.  I've broken enough doing flutes that I try to make it a last resort to remove thickness.  When it works it's great, but I do it with some trepidation, especially on obsidian.  Just did it on a Keokuk piece and pretty much wimped out on the second side.  Been working on my thinning from the sides at the base.  Need to cook some rock, then I wouldn't have to hit so hard.  Good luck on your rock crushing.  I can see improvement there, don't get discouraged.  Need to get my tarp back out and make some more gravel in the shop. :)

George
St Paul, TX