Author Topic: Splinter repair-w-pics  (Read 2120 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Splinter repair-w-pics
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:01 pm »
OK guys and gals. Now that my trade bow is sent and received, I can focus on trying to save the #1 HBI that developed a splinter during shooting in. That bow and splinter can be seen at this thread if you haven't seen it an are interested. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33792.0.html

Here is what I did, so far. I filled the splinter with as much Titebond III as I could and used a knife blade to work as much of the glue down in the base of the splinter as possible and then clamped it in two directions over night. Here are the clamping pics.

another angle

The next day after it was dry, I removed the clamps and sanded it down. This is after it was sanded down to re-stain. (The bow wrapped up in the pic is a bamboo backed ipe, to be discussed later)

Here is is after re-staining and a couple coats of shellac.

Here it is after my first wrap with fastflight string soaked in super glue. Notice the irregularity in the grain where the splinter raised. I am going to put an artificial sinew wrap directly over the splinter and some of the swirl in the grain. What do yall think?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:27:42 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

Re: Splinter repair-w-pics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:56:24 pm »
Ken, your a tease bud !!!!! looks good but "THE MONEY SHOT" common ::) My money is on the bow drawin nice and spittin arras.
rich

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:50 pm »
One more wrap to go and then I'll shoot this baby! If it holds, I'll match the wraps on the other limb for aesthetics and shoot her till she drops or not!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »
I bet she holds together fine Kenny.  I have no experience with laminated bows, but have repaired three or four cracked self bows and none of those repaired areas have caused a problem again.  Good luck with it and show us that bow when you get it back to shooting :).
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:26 pm »
I got 2 wraps on it and shot it about 20 times today. She still shoots sweet. I will put wraps on the other limb to match tonight and take some pics tomorrow and post some pics if she holds together.