Author Topic: Oily carp skin problems  (Read 1580 times)

Offline DQ

Oily carp skin problems
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:06 am »
I have carp skins which are still leaking oil after about a week of drying. I put them on fresh.  Just fleshed 'em out good, washed them in dish soap (not Dawn) and glued 'em on with TBIII.  I don't recommend this method!  I don't know if I can ever put a finish on this bow.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Oily carp skin problems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:19:28 am »
Dawn "cuts the grease!" Its the only one that works that way. I left mine between paper towels for several weeks as well. They turned a nasty yellow color after sucking it all up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:11 am »
Can you get them off without tearing them up,if so I would do that and clean like
Pearl said.That is about what I did.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:19 am »
If they are stuck down hard you could leave them be and just take it outdoors to the hose and scrub them with Dawn and scrub brush. Let it sit for a few days and dry back out. It should be fine. I like the shellac idea for a pre-sealer sealer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:48 pm »
Timo has a great thread on caring and appying carp skins in the how-to section.hope this helps.i have one of his carp skinned bows,it looks awesome.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:22 pm »
I put mine on fresh as well, can't recall what soap I used to clean 'em. They leeched oil, so I put them out in the sun for a day. Throughout the day, as they leeched oil, I took the oil off with acetone. At the end of the day, they were dry as a bone. Took some poly finish quite nice.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »
White sidewalk chalk will soak grease stains out of silk without harming the material.  Maybe that might work on the crap skins.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DQ

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »
Thanks for the ideas, guys.  They're glued on tight.  Guess I'll let the sun do its work then acetone 'em.  Next time I'll take better care of them before I glue them on.