Author Topic: Splinter repair  (Read 1174 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Splinter repair
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:59:14 pm »
Now that my trade bow is finally off, I need to focus my attention back on my #1 to see if I can fix the splinter. I want to make sure I get glue all the way down where the splinter starts, but I am concerned that the glue is too thick and not runny enough to work its way down into the crack. I thought about squirting some thin ca glue down into the small of the crack and then using TB3 in the more accessible area of the splinter. Does anyone know if the 2 glues work well together? I am concerned with where the 2 glues meet. Is this a bad idea? I really need some advise. I would like to repair the bow, if possible. Of course I will also wrap the limb where necessary. If it fails, and I don't lose the belly, I can still put a new back on if I have to.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Splinter repair
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:29 pm »
The 2 glues do not work well together.  CA glues will soften PVA glues and weaken them, not sure if a PVA glue will soften a CA glue
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:47 am »
I was afraid of that. What would you recommend in this case?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:19 pm »
You could try a good quality epoxy and just warm up the wood so that the epoxy turns thin or if you can clamp the splinter well enough then you could use hide glue and clamp the splinter well after you soak some glue in it, again warming up the wood so that the hide glue turns really thin.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com