Author Topic: New work bench  (Read 4528 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
New work bench
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »
I'm destroying my back deck using my stairs and handrails to hold my staves while I shave them, so I'm planning on investing in a workbench or a shave horse, but I've never owned one before, so I don't know.

What is everyone else using?
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: New work bench
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »
I made myself a shave horse, highly recommended. Need a bench too for the later stages.

I've modified it a bit since this shot, I've put the seat on a skew so that the stave can pass under my left arm when I'm working near it's centre.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:11:58 pm »
Never been much of a handyman. Anyone know of a good shave horse build-a-long?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:04:32 pm »
Have you looked in the "How To" section?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:01 pm »
Never noticed it there before. I just started skimming through it. Thanks.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »
I made a traveling sit down bench with a vice on it not to long ago.  What I use every day is a small work bench with a good sized vice on it.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 05:27:33 am »
I can't get on with shaving horses and i've used a few different ones. I've even made a 'new' design where the stave is clamped using inner tubes and can be locked in place with a piece of wood so that you can move around it.
I don't think you can beat a nice sturdy bench with an engineers vice with 4 inch jaws which are padded with a little leather. Make your table higher than you think so you don't have to bend over at all when working on a bow. Use either wood or steel box section for the frame, 3/4 ply for the top and then rawl bolt it to a solid wall with some brackets so that it's completely immoveable. Perfect!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 06:15:50 am »
... Make your table higher than you think so you don't have to bend over at all when working on a bow. ...
Ain't that the truth!
Del

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »

wild women don't get the blues

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:35 pm »
You don't mind if I copy either of your designs, do you?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:04 am »
Del looks like the American stereotypical image of the "peculiar" Englishman...leather loafers, knit stocking cap, slacks!  Granted, I see the same thing...but then I catch myself studying the wood he has trapped in the bodger trying to see where he is in the process, whether there is anything I can steal for ideas, how he is addressing the wood with the tool.  Heck, I wanna be Del the Cat when I grow up.  Maybe that should be IF I grow up. 

In the last place I lived, I built a great workbench by going to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and buying a set of kitchen cabinets.  The base cabinets were set up on 4" of risers and had a countertop made of double thickness of 3/4 exterior grade plywood with a glued and dowelled hickory facing installed.  The wall cabinets fit over a sink and had a gap for a window where you would stare out wishing you weren't washing dishes.  That wall unit was hung up and a pegboard tool rack covered the space where the window would have been.  A flourescent light fixture was set in that space as well and three power outlets installed at the back of the bench.  The bench top also extended 3 inches out over the base cabinets so that clamping to the bench was a snap.  I wrote out all my math equations and doodled over it with pencil until it was covered.  I'd use my palm sander to clean it up and re-paint every few months.  Worked for me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:20:15 am »
You don't mind if I copy either of your designs, do you?
No prob, there are better pics and a write up on my Bowyers Diary.
Just google to find it. The search on the Bowyers Diary actually works well ! :o
Del
@ JW.. If you look closely you'll see I'm using an invisible spokeshave! I just posed the pic for my blog and it was the first tool that came to hand ;D
Mind it's a great tool, I've never made a mistake using it, but the shavings are very very fine ;D

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »
The main thing I noticed in Del's picture is that he appears to be quite comfortable in a knit watch cap and sweater.  I would give one kidney and my remaining eye tooth for some cool, dank weather like that now.  It's hotter than furry **** in a wool sock down here right now.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:49 pm »
It's hotter than furry **** in a wool sock down here right now.

I hear ya, buddy.  I work part time in an adult beverage shop...you can bet Del's invisible spokeshave I take my bloody time restocking the barleywater cooler!

There is a nice little picnic spot up Nemo Road in the Black Hills.  Lots of shade, a nice gurgling coldwater creek, barbecue grills, and these wonderful heavy picnic tables.  I take my gear up there now and then and work.  I always end up letting other people take a few licks with the tools and they are always fascinated.  It's the "outreach woodshop". 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 05:36:43 pm »
To take one out of my dad's book, it's hotter than a four-balled tom cat down here this summer. I've been having to move my shop into the woods behind my house to avoid boiling alive.