Author Topic: 55" knotty white oak recurve  (Read 6640 times)

Offline FRITZ 86

Re: 55" knotty white oak recurve
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »
That's a really cool little bow!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »
Beautiful full draw shot! excellent work.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:06:59 pm »
Howard you did a really good one there, I like that bow without a slick finish, it's got a real rugged, rustic look that suits it perfectly.
Great looking full draw too, looks to be bending the right amount in all the right places.  I may have to pester you for some tips on working white oak in the near future. Cut one down recently after you had suggested I give this wood a try, now I'm getting excited
about it after seeing what you did with this bow.Great job.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:49 pm »
Blackhawk - thank you so much.  Your bows are always an inspiration to me.
Thanks Fritz, Eric, and Badly B - thanks a bunch.  BB, from the looks of the fine bows that you turn out, i doubt you will need my help, but i will be glad tell you what i have learned about white oak. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 03:28:39 am »
Very cool bow and a sweet bend!!

Makes me want to cut some oak...  the stuff surrounds me :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:15:37 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:13 am »
Great little bow that  8) good weight too.
If it has good brace twang then the set is fine. I have a little one very similar that i made from a heavier bow that developed a problem in one of the tips to i had to shorten it. That also took a lot of set but it didnt seem to affect it in the way that it does others. Probably due to the recurves and straight tips.

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 01:54:49 pm »
Nice! I love the look!  I've wanted to get some white oak to try heat treating for a while now.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »
Thanks guys.  This one may end up being one of the better bows that i have built so far.  I know what you mean dwardo...  even with the set, the early string tension is surprising.  I don't know if that is more a part of the design, the quality of the wood, or a combination of factors - all i know is it is fast and i like it :D 

White oak will remind you of elm or hackberry in that it bends to what ever shape you desire, with the added benefit of being easy to work, easy to split, and fairly impervious to moisture.  It is prone to taking quite a bit of set, but a good heat treating mitigates that effect.  Try it, you will like it.  It is not like the red oak we have here at all.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi