Author Topic: Pecan sapling bow  (Read 2985 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Pecan sapling bow
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:50 pm »
This morning I got out one of my very first bows and shot it for a while.  I have built maybe a dozen since I built this one, but this little bow is probably the reason that I have become a full blown bow building addict...  It was from a two inch sapling and has about two inches of string follow.  62"NTN, and came in at about 38# @ 29".  I learned a lot from this little bow and it still gives me a thrill to shoot it.  Pecan is awesome wood and was very forgiving to this new guy.  The bow is a little whip tillered but still shoots great after at least a thousand shots.   The handle is paracord wrap over leather glue up.  I made all sorts of mistakes and the back of this bow has been scratched up, violated and down right mistreated - it made a good bow in spite of me!   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Pecan sapling bow
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »
My main photographer was working today or I would have included the full draw.... ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:45 pm »
Looks good, Howard. I've heard that pecan is similar to hickory....is that right?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »
I have made a couple of bows from pecan since this one Kenny.  I have found it to be really tension strong, easy to work, and just all around good stuff!  It responds well to heating, steam bending, and stressed designs...  I think it is somewhere right between elm and hickory....    I have a fifty lb five curve from pecan that I hunted with last year.  It makes a good bow.  You should have plenty of pecan where you are Kenny, you ought to give one a try.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:46:49 pm »
I see a good bit around here. There are a bunch of orchards. Maybe they cut some back, periodically. I will have to check on that. Thanks!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16:23 pm »
The only part that I can see real good.....is that tight butt group ::) nothin wrong with shootin like that. Make sure ya keep that first one, bud.
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00:11 am »
I couldn't part with this one Rich - I wil always remember how doggone satisfying it was to finally reach a point that I wasn't holding my breath waiting to hear that telltale "tick", or to have shot it enough times to where I just knew it was going to last.  I started to give it a makeover one time, and  apply some of what I have learned and tweek it a little, but decided against it.  It is sort of cool to look at one of your early  bows and then realize how far you have come...
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:22:54 am »
Nice bow and tight group ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.