Author Topic: splitting wood when it's 104!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline H Rhodes

splitting wood when it's 104!
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »
I am learning a lesson about letting my stave supply run low in the middle of a heat wave....  I spent the last few days gathering wood - some white oak and winged elm...  It was 104 degrees during the splitting and debarking of this bad boy.  My wife says that I need mental help.  Who cares? this one is gonna make a good one. 8)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: splitting wood when it's 104!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »
The bark should come off both easily this time of the year but splitting elm is a b*tch any time of year. d;^)
  We haven't hit 100 yet but it has been 97. When we moved here 22 years ago it never(I mean never) got over 85. Unless I have to work I don't over stress myself in high temp weather and even at work(landscape) my work rate goes way down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »
It has been terribly dry here and was over a hundred by lunch time....  The bark did come off the oak really easily, but the elm seemed to be stuck more than I expected....  a symptom of the lack of rain?  I have to work real slow, so that I don't melt - drinking water by the gallon!   

I know what you mean about the elm...  I saw a kerf early on and let it dry around that,  on the big ones.  The smaller trees, I just split them on the table saw.

It was so hot the other afternoon that when I got home from work, I didn't hear a bird, cicada, locust, cricket... nothing....  sounded like nerve gas had been used on my little farm... I guess it's too hot for anything to move or make a noise.  My garden looks like November..... :(
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when I let my stave supply get too low in the middle of summertime. It really sucks splittin wood in 100 degree temps. I specifically remember my wife coming outside while I was in the middle of splittin a big black locust log and all she had to say was "What the hell is wrong with you"?  ;)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »
Ha!    yep, i know what you mean.  The look she gave me made me question my own sanity there for a minute...
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi