Author Topic: Hello from a new guy! (and some bows, too)  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Rufledt

Hello from a new guy! (and some bows, too)
« on: June 19, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »
Greetings!  I've been lurking around here  but I've never posted before.  My name is Paul, I'm originally from Wisconsin, but I'm currently in grad school in the Boston area.  I made some longbows a few years back (i think early college years?) but I stopped for some reason until just recently when a friend of mine from school here wanted me to show him how to make some longbows.  We got 4 straight grained 1x2x6" redoak boards (i started last time on redoak and i didn't fail miserably, so i figured it was a good place to restart).  I had him read the tillering chapter in TBB and he paged through some more (like the bows from boards chapter) and I told him what I could remember that was relevant to simple board bows.  He picked up how to use the tools really quickly, but since he's new to this and i'm really really rusty, we need some more eyes to critique the tiller.  we only finished one of them so far (tried and true boiled linseed oil), and here's a shot of it at full draw: 

and some more pics:

That bow is 71" ntn, with a 6"stiff handle of maple/oak scraps i had leftover from some furniture, and the last 6" or so of the limbs are stiff.  the center 2" of the bow is 1.5" wide (thinned and rounded at the stiff handle) and tapers to 1/2" tips, though those were made narrower a little bit too during finishing. 

It pulls about 35# @ 28" (it's his first bow, so no 50 pounders for him), and after shooting it in it has about 1 3/4" unbraced set.  The tiller doesn't look super even to me (even enough that we finished it and moved on) but you guys have a much better eye for tillering.  To me the lower limb looks like it has spot that bends a little more neard the mid limb, but my eyes might just be screwing with me.  Do you guys see any problems?

We made a second bow with one of the other boards that's a bit lighter for my wife.  It's about 30# @ 28", same dimensions, but she only has about a 25" full draw since she's pretty short.  I figured tillering more would let me use it too :P  I think this is a picture of the tiller:

That bow has about 2" of string follow, but we did kinda speed our way through that one because dinner was almost ready.  That one hasn't been sanded/finished yet, though.  it also bends about 1/2" more on one limb, but we're just calling that the top limb.  How does the tiller look to you guys?

I still have 2 more boards left because I half expected at least one of these to break, but they both turned out fine!  I'll have to finish the second one and get to work on 2 more!

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Hello from a new guy! (and some bows, too)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »
Those are good looking bows, nice a simple with clean lines.

Outer third of the bottom limb in the bottom picture might be a bit stiffer than the top limb. But not by much, its hard for me to tell in pictures, I like seeing in 3D.

I'd leave them be, shoot them a bunch, and move on to new bows.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »
thanks for finally joining us Paul. Nice bows too
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »
Welcome lurker. You got a good start going for sure. Nice looking tiller on that top bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:49 pm »
Those are definitely a couple of nice ones. Welcome back to the fun!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:01 pm »
Thanks for the comments!  That second bow is a little stiffer in the lower limb according to measuring limb deflection while tillering.  Thanks for pointing out where!  If anyone else has tiller comments they would be greatly appreciated!  I'm trying to get tillering down first, i'll worry about making prettier looking bows later. 

I also did start working on a bow for me from one of the leftover boards.  The wood is quite a bit denser than the other ones and i'm going with a different design (but still 1.5" wide at max, 71" ntn with 6" stiff handle), so i'm hoping I can safely make one a bit heavier than 35#, maybe aiming for 45# or so, and at my longer draw length of about 29.5".  With this success i'm feeling braver, and i want a bow for myself because I sold/gave away the other bows I made in the past (kicking myself on one of them especially), and the only one I have left is some high tech aluminum/carbon jobber my uncle gave me with some high tech this and that on it.  It shoots very well and I appreciate the gift greatly, but I'm having trouble getting excited when i'm shooting it.  I'm sure you guys understand.