Author Topic: Finished bow for kid next door.  (Read 2852 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Finished bow for kid next door.
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »
I'd been promising I'd make him a bow for the last few months, and it's done. (12 hour shifts work against my productivity.)
Painted how he wanted it, 58in. ntn, draws about 30# @ 26", which he'll grow into it. Starting next week I'll be able to make ACTUAL bow string, cause as of right now I've been using what's called "Catfish Rope" from walmart. I cut two strands and twist them together until they're no longer elastic. Works really well for really cheap, but the rope is tarred so it smells kinda funky.

Also, didn't realize how much I'd left that top limp stiff until I started uploading these pictures. That ever happen to anyone?

She's not a looker, but she'll do for today.

Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Finished bow for kid next door.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
He looks pretty happy! Nice draw, too! Great job man!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »
That's a fine bow for a kid.
I'm currently making a Yew ELB for a girl at the club, her Mum asked if I'd make her one, but I haven't got her height draw length or weight. It's a bit dissheartening when I'm making the effort and getting no feedback  :(.
But then I s'pose not everyone has the luxury of being semi-retired  ;D.
I think tillering light weight bows is a right pain as just a slight shift in hand position can make 'em look off kilter.
Good job I say, he should be really pleased with that beaut'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:45:15 pm »
Really nice thing you did there LE. Is that the kids first bow? I also agree that making light weight kids bows are difficult.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »
Nice gesture....since the strings down center of handle,how bout flipping it around and see if the tiller looks better that way.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »
Looks real nice and great gesture... I agree with blackhawk.. flip her around and see what happens...

Jon

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:04:42 pm »
Yeah that's his first bow. I've been trying to teach him to shoot, but 1, Im short on time, 2, he's about as absorbant of information as a lead brick.

And yeah, making lightweight bows is a real pain, especially out of lower quality wood.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.