Author Topic: step fractures  (Read 1525 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
step fractures
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:09:23 pm »
So what the heck causes step fractures?, cause damn near every time I hit a rock I end up with one. >:( It's making me crazy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Jimbob

Re: step fractures
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 03:18:49 pm »
In my experience it was because I didnt abrade enough.  Somtimes its just the rock.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »
I'm not an expert but from what I have experienced these are the causes. Poorly set up platforms. Take your time and build your platforms correctly. Build your platforms so that the flake has a ridge to run down, also make sure your platforms are below center. Hitting a flake into a flat or concave area will often result in a hinge or a broken point. Grind your edges. This helps strengthen your platform and eliminates crushed edges which robs energy. Keep your tools in good shape. If a bopper is worn out, replace it. This helps eliminate mis hits. Hope this helps.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »
NC got it about covered, only one thing to add, you got to hit it with enough force to remove flake an not stop an stack. Sometimes you need to hit it hard ;D ;D Later Bob

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »
snipe and Bob got your answers.  I have to remind myself of these basics almost all the time I'm knaping.  Some rock needs a stronger plateform, I'd have to think also a harder hit. 

good luck, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »
Thanks everybody! I'll get back at it 2maro.

Dave
Rockford, MI