Author Topic: Removing bark from first log *added pictures for clarity*  (Read 1773 times)

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
Removing bark from first log *added pictures for clarity*
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:46:15 pm »
So this past weekend I went out to some land that my across-the-street neighbor owns, where there's a nifty little dried creek bed with tons of non-GA-pines growing very tall and straight to make up for that they have a 4ft disadvantage being lower than the rest. They break upward toward the sunlight with eagerness.

Descending into the creek bed, I noticed a fairly large Hickory tree to my right that seemed to stand out among the rest. As I neared it, to my dismay, I realized it was riddled top to bottom with woodpecker holes. Crestfallen, I started moving on past it when I noticed it's offspring, roughly half its height and width, standing patiently behind it. Equipped with naught but a hatchet, a small hand saw, and a hunting knife, I spent the next 45 minutes sawing and hacking it to the ground, then another 30 minutes cutting it down into a 9ft+/- log. I carried it on my back all the way to my truck, then drove it home.

In the hot heat of the summer, all it took was a screwdriver and some elbow grease to break the bark off it, which was a great relief.
There I noted two things.

1. There is a hole in the bottom of the log where I'm pretty sure ants have bored up into it, and I REALLY hope all that work wasn't for nothing, and I'll be able to work around or through it.

2. I'd consider myself ignorant in this subject, but I had imagined the first ring immediately under the bark/phlegm/cambium to be smooth and flat, as it's used as a single-ring for the back of the bow. The wood underneath the bark on this tree, while smooth, is ripply.

Am I supposed to smooth it out?
Will it work as ripply as it is?
Should I just work down to the next ring?
Should I just set the damned thing on fire and cut my losses?

I appreciate any and all input.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:41:56 pm by LivingElemental »
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Cherokee B.

Re: Removing bark from first log
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »
I have not worked with pine, but the ripley wood should be fine. I would not recommened chasing a ring yet, especially if this is your first bow. Also try to fing some better wood for bows, as hickory or ash. Pine is a bit to soft in my opinion. Good luck ;)

P S
Seal the ends of your stave so it does not crack.

Drew
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men... Colossians 3:23
Don't tread on me!

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »
This IS a Hickory tree. It was growing among all the pines. And why not go by the outer ring here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:01:25 am »
Split your log in half and see what's inside. That should let you see about the ants too. The outside, under the bark is the back of your bow. If you can get a 1" thick piece(more or less) you can easily build a bow with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LivingElemental

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:32 am »
Forgot to mention I split the log two days ago. I got it split with wedges and an axe/hammer duo about 1/4th of the way up, then hooked my toes where it was split and ripped it the rest of the way up. I don't believe there is any more manly feeling than ripping a tree in half with your bare hands.

There are little pins and some decent sized knots throughout, along with the ants running about half way up in a small corridor, but I'm gauging I'll be able to work through it. I'll never know til I try, I guess.... I'll take some pictures and upload them tomorrow if you guys would care to take a look.

I would REALLY like to make one of those knots into a handle. One of them is the same size as my palm.

Really, thanks for your info.  :)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:01:21 am »
So you have two halves of a log of hickory, about 9 feet long. Correct? Sounds good. But what diameter of a tree is it? If it's big enough, you might be able to split it again into quarters.
Don't worry about the ants too much. You need only about one inch of thickness of good wood. The ants may have hollowed out the tree, but as long as they left one inch of sounds wood underneath the bark, you're fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'ripply' wood. But as long as you split the wood, it must have followed the grain. And if you were careful when you took off the bark, the wood you exposed is still undamaged. That will be the back of your bow. Even if it's curved, rippled or bumpy. Don't smoothen it out, but consider it a feature in your bow :)

If you post a picture or two, we can judge the quality of the wood and see if the ants or ripples pose any problems.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:15:56 am »
Darksoul about covered it,except I would seal the ends and also the back after you dry it off good,be careful with the back because until it dries a bit it is soft and easy to dent or damage. The ripples will probably be fine,lot of Hickory is like that.
Some don't seal the back of white wood but I have had it check sometimes and isn't worth taking the chance.  :) Love to see some pictures. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline LivingElemental

Re: Removing bark from first log *added pictures*
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
These are all from my phone, so the pictures may not load, but here goes.

You can see where the bark is rippled and also where the ants have darkened places in the wood. And also i did not think to refrain from damaging the outer wood, so it has some tool marks. :/

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:07:33 pm by LivingElemental »