Author Topic: Guess what's molting...?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline gudspelr

Guess what's molting...?
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
At least in my neck of the woods.

I started going through the areas I've been seeing the Canadian Geese with their fuzzy little critters and found the feathers all over.  Once I saw the feathers at the first spot, I hit up some parks with ponds and found more.  Never collected feathers like this before, but REALLY wanted some natural feathers for my natural shafts without spending a bunch of money.  I plan on doing more checking over the next few weeks, because I think the molting just got going and will continue for a bit yet.  I'm hopeful that between the 2 sets of turkey wings a buddy gave me and these, I'll have enough to fletch 2 or 3 dozen arrows.  I'm thinking I might try some 2 fletch arrows and leave them a bit taller to make up for missing a 3rd feather-might get more arrows fletched out of it...?

Jeremy

Offline Scowler

Re: Guess what's molting...?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »
Excellent haul!

Offline Muler44

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:06:25 am »
Those look good!  Should make some nice arras!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34:24 am »
Goose makes good fletching. Nice haul !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Nifty

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
What part of the country are you in?

I wonder if they're still molting down here in GA.
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45:44 am »
Good find.Match em and strip em.A person can see the water repellant film on those goose feathers after fletching.To me goose is'nt quite as stiff as primaries from a turkey wing.I use them as a cock feather with turkey.That could stretch the amount of arrows done too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »
   Around here the geese started molting last week. I fished 3 different ponds and got a couple dozzen fight feathers. I only use flight feathers but some of those secondarys look good. I'm sure you could use these also. I've got 2 other ponds and a park I hit that I get dozzens others from everyyear. Then by the end of JUNE I go back around.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:05:01 am »
Nifty-I'm up in the Idaho

Crooketarrow-I managed to find some of the longer, stiffer flight feathers, but a lot more secondaries.  At this point, I figure I'll do some different fletching on some shafts and see how they all fly, then take the best results and make up some good hunting ones.  All the rest will hopefully make for good target and stumping arrows.

Jeremy

Offline Nifty

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »
Went to the lake park yesterday afternoon, found about 12 good primaries (6 left and 6 right). Also picked up a nice handful of the bigger secondaries... I'll try them out and see how they compare to the turkey feathers!  8)

Thanks for the heads up!
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
Woa!  I didn't realize you could get that many feathers on a haul.

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:23 pm »
Yeah now is a great time to pick up some Canada Goose Wing feathers.  I've collected LOTS of them from parks and lakes.  They look identical to the wing feathers of a mature bald eagle but are legal!  I have also used them on arrows for wet, rainy weather and they held up much better than turkey feathers.  Even still I usually avoid using my primitive gear in the rain. 

I think they will continue molting for the next 3 weeks or so.  So keep checking back at the places where you picked them up because they will keep being replenished by the geese for the next few weeks!

They work great for fletching..... but I don't use them because you can't see them in flight.  I prefer to use white feathers because I film my hunts and need to see the arrows in flight, and so does the camera.  But if you've got them...use them!!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:14 am »
Billy-

I've heard how hard it is to see the good fletching, but like you said, I'll use what I have :).  I've thought about it though and am thinking of using white thread to wrap the feathers and maybe trying to use some of PatB's rabbit zonkers-sounds like they work well.  I'll keep checking back at the ponds and see how many I can get-I love free :).

Jeremy

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:11:50 am »
Been watching ebay for turkey feathers and they are about $1.00 per primary right now.  So good  reason to find and collect these geese feathers.  I worked near the willamette river last year and would pick them up from the waterfront park during my lunch.  I guess it was about this time of year.  I need to go back and check. I really like goose fletching.  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:47 am »
Awesome.   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Chicknlady

• outdoor and survival enthusiast, newbie archer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:56 pm »
Finally got a chance to hit a park with a huge pond nearby... Jackpot!  :)  I didn't count how many goose feathers I collected, but it got to the point I couldn't hold onto them with one hand.   If I had been a day or so earlier, before they had mowed, I could have had a ton more... saw too many sad, ripped-up feathers laying around.