Author Topic: Yew, Sinew and Salmon Skin  (Read 8655 times)

Offline johnston

Re: Yew, Sinew and Salmon Skin
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 09:51:16 am »
Okay, so that is cool as hell. Thanks for posting this.
Tiller is killer.

Lane

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 12:29:18 am »
Coos tribe, yeah I haven't been able to find much either, but there are notes that Melville Jacobs recorded with one of the last speakers of our Hanis and Miluk languages and a couple of other elders, and in there they said that we used vine maple or yew backed with sinew and salmon skin.  Pretty awesome bow dude :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »
Siknew, salmon skin, leather, and yew.  Sounds like a recipe for something a dog could not leave alone!  Better keep that lovely killer up high. 

And for that matter, better not leave it unattended anywhere near me.  Though I am a little less likely to chew it up, it'll be just as gone.    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
Man I love the way you brought that all together. It seems to me that you salvaged alot of different elements to make a very beautiful and looks like, deadly weapon. My hats off to you on that one.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »
I've tought about using salmon skins and wondered how they would look, well how about great!!! You really got into the detail and your tiller looks great!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:23 am »
Dauntless, how did you treat your salmon skins.  I saw this post and it inspired me to try some salmon skins.  They just happened to have some real nice looking fresh copper river salmon at the local Albertson's yesterday.  I skinned the fillets, and to my surprise the skin was pretty rugged.  I grew up on smoked salmon and had expected sticky skin, but not tough skin.  Anyway, after scraping the skins, I started rinsing them in hot water.  Just as hot as my sink goes which aint blistering, and to my surprise, the skins became very delicate, tearing with the slightest of mishandling.  They went from tough hide to wet paper with just a quick rinse in hot water.  Anyway, I thought it was interesting and made me curious about how you prepped your skins. Also, I have eaten about 3lbs of smoked salmon in the last 18 hrs.  ;D ;D ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso