Author Topic: My fish skin experiment  (Read 1598 times)

Offline coaster500

My fish skin experiment
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:14:07 pm »
Went fishing yesterday and got a few good ones. I caught a limit of ling Cod and got some skins at the fish cleaning station so I've got about ten sides. Ling are ambush predators and change color like a Cameleon. The skins on the board came from Lings in the kelp. The skins on the cement came from lings in open water. I just wondered if they would hold there color when dried. Lings have no scales.
I got a few brown skin rock fish and probably would not have considered them except their skin is tough as rawhide!!! We will see???

Has anyone ever tried Lings??

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:59:55 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Dauntless

Re: My fish skin experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:35:13 pm »
I've never seen Ling outside archaeological assemblages (Icelandic stuff, I doubt you're over there though and common names can be very misleading).  The skin looks amazing though!  I wonder if the pattern will change while drying or because of UV rays though.

I can't wait to see these on a bow.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:11 pm »
Kip I have done several Ling cod bows. They will lose some color when they dry. They are fairly tough and good for backing. Try some dye underneath to accent and you may be able to pop the color a little more

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:52:14 pm »
Two hours into it and it looks like I'm looseing color fast. I will continue as I am curious to see if the color come back when I rehydrate and glue to the back of a bow??

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:56:54 pm »
I'll try that Keenan. When I was fleshing the skins I noticed the color coming out of the skins from the preasure of the blade. I am wondering if I do a better job skining the when they are fresh if they might hold more of the color?

PS... still looking for our Leopard shark :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:46:16 pm »
another couple hours dry to the touch...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:20:04 pm »
 PS... still looking for our Leopard shark

;D ;D ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:56 pm »
even if it looses the color it still has a cool pattern, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹