Author Topic: making bows for the other hand shooter  (Read 1579 times)

Offline sound maker

making bows for the other hand shooter
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:27 am »
 Got some bows I'm going to be making for some friends but they're both right hand shooters and I'm left :o (I think I'm saying this right). Both I know would like a 40-55# bow but I don't really know how to go about this since I'm not really that strong on that side. And to add to it one of them is about 27" - 28" draw length and the other is somewhere around 32" I think or more (hes a little over 6' tall and likes to go near his ear) and I'm shorter then him  :'((can draw to about 28 1/2" but anything further will need me to hold it with my feet :o). I'm more or less think of using boards for them cuz A) thats all I can get B) my birch is a little too knoty for me to work on it for them with me feeling safe that it won't go and break in thir hands.
 So do I just go about making the bow and then after floor tillering and tillering abit with the stick find me a person near me thats right handed and have them pull it for me?
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: making bows for the other hand shooter
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27:20 am »
You can tiller a bow beyond your own drawlength. Just use a tiller tree to pull it further than you could draw yourself. But you can also pull a bow yourself to the drawlength you can achieve yourself. There's no difference in pulling a left handed or a right handed bow. The only difference is the side the arrow passes the handle. Heck, you could even shoot a bow with some arrows on the 'wrong' side of the handle! Test shooting the 32" drawlength would be impossible for you, so your might ask assistance to someone who can actually draw 32". Although you may be able to fire some test shots at 28½" yourself, it would be better to also test shoot it at full draw, just to make sure the bow behaves good in terms of handshock and smoothness of draw.
So, I don't see a problem for you. I think you're making it more complicated than it actually is...the bow doesn't know if her archer is left or right handed!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286