Author Topic: Entertaining tourists  (Read 1879 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Entertaining tourists
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:15:27 am »
I was asked to set up and demonstrate bowmaking by our local toursim office.  The first friday of each month they have a small festival promoting tourism in the county.  They have a band, a small car show, and local artist/craftsman set up and show their work.  They had me set up inside the old building they use as their office.  It was a little strange working on bows next to a couch on a hardwood floor.  I took some finished bows as well as some in various stages.  I also brought some arrows and other bow building supplies to display.  My new bench worked great.  I had a lot of people stop and talk to me about bow making.  It seemed to really interest people.  I was by far the most popular display.  I hope I was able to spread the word a little and maybe get someone interested enough to give it a try.  They payed me $75 to set there and work on bows for 3 hours   :o  I guess I'm a professional now ;D 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Entertaining tourists
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:24 am »
You look like a professional to me sittin there :). As much wood as you've hacked down, split, hauled, cleaned and tillered. I'd say you've earned that title ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:36:19 am »
Lucky dog! At least they noticed your talent and called upon it. Good job pal!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:42 am »
  Something about that picture just does not look right, not sure if it is the couch or the wall paper.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:02 am »
Very cool, Clint. Passing it on and getting paid for it!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 11:07:43 am »
NICE!!! You should take a picture of all the staves you got from that one tree. Have it with you next time.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »
  Something about that picture just does not look right, not sure if it is the couch or the wall paper.

Good eye Steve. I didnt think the couch and wallpaper matched either. They look funny together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
Pretty cool! That bench is a great idea too.  I'm glad it's working out for you.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »
That's pretty cool, Clint.  Hey, I like your bench.  I see the hinges on it.  Does the seat open as a place to put your sheet music?   :laugh: ;D :D  It's a great idea, really.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »
Looked like it went well for ya...cool stuff ;) 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 11:11:54 pm »
I was bothered more with the 100+ year old wooden floor than the wallpaper or couch.  I cleaned up my mess when I was done.

Matt, no sheet music, just tools in there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »
finally,getting paid for doing what you love.good job Clint
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 03:58:22 pm »
When I scrape bows at a Rendezvous I tend to gather a small crowd.  Something about this process of bow building that just gets folks curious. 

Clint, folks like you are a pretty good poster boy for the hobby.  Thanks for flying the flag for the rest of us!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.