Author Topic: First Bow - Can it be saved?  (Read 4665 times)

Offline RDK

Re: First Bow - Can it be saved?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 03:10:01 pm »
OK it worked---and I made the combow ~8 years after the hickory bow blew up due to hurrying to get it strung--probably a good reason to never clean the shop......

I needed to  add---I probably learn more from my mistakes.  I think the reasons bows sometimes fail is to give us an excuse to be creative and just make another---

But really--you think you've tried everything...but  there is always one more last thing to do.

(And there are options to just making garden stakes   ;)  )

Good luck!

RDK
"Everyday north of the grass is a good day!"

"Be wise; we need Mother Earth, Mother Earth does not need us."

Ron,   Bangor, Michigan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
That is the finest example of the rare hicksage bow that I have ever seen.   Osackory?

???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Walkingbird

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:41 pm »
Many Thanks to all of you for your advice and encoragement!
Shot the bow about 20 time today at 10 and 20 yards with a temporary string.
I hope to make my own permananet string and am woking on getting a jig together now.

This one is not perfect but with your advice I have been able to chase a ring, get somewhat close to even tiller, remove some helicopter and most of some serious dogleging.

It looks like it could be a good shooter.
Time will tell!

I have one stave left Osage Outlaw and hopefully my next bow will be even better! ;-)

Walkingbird

Offline Walkingbird

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »
Only pic I have been able to get so far.

I made my string, took me three tries and then I made a forth that I like even better, it is shorter and the string to riser length is better, about 7". I have put about 60 arrows through her but now my serving has to be re-done. She is pulling 45# at 28" and my draw is shorter, probably 27".

I hope to hunt with her but I need to practice a bunch.

I still have to level the arrow and mark a nock point, figure how I am going to draw, I seem to be better with thre finger under right now but maybe with a nock I will like two under one over.

Thanks again for all of your help and enchouragement!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »
NIce! I wish I had all this help when I made my first. I would not have needed 15 tries. For the future, if you leave the handle full width and the nocks 3/4" width until full draw you can track the string better. I could go through that but I have a feeling you are overloaded. I will say this - the string does not have to bisect he handle.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Walkingbird

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »
Thanks George,
This was a challange for me as I am not much of a craftsman.
Clint provided me with two nice staves and urged me to go ahead and try it.
From beginning to end I reviewed your posts and your site and relied on advice and input from every source I could but still I almost gave up on it twice.
The propeller and dogleg issues were finally almost overcome but not quite 100%.
The string is not centered on the bow but it still shoots pretty well as far as I can tell.
It is much different than my compound so I have a lot to learn.

I will keep your advice in mind as I consider what to do with stave number two. :-)
Thank you!