Author Topic: Long time ago, I did some Renaissance type work...  (Read 904 times)

Offline Driftwood

Long time ago, I did some Renaissance type work...
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:00 am »
Hello to everyone my introductory post didn't get to in the Bows forum. I was encouraged there to post some pictures of work I did a number of years ago when working the Renaissance fair circuit....I sincerely hope that some of the skills I learned doing these things will benefit me as I learn the art of bowyering. I mentioned that I've also done some chain mail work, but I'll have to post those pictures later as the pieces I still have are in our storage unit & I'm not up to driving over there tonight!

The impressive work here (the sword) isn't my work at all, it was made by an artist and gentleman I respect very much, Mr. Daniel Watson. My work here is confined to the scabbard and a replaced handle. Interesting note - the metal detail in the handle is cut from Lone Star beer cans :)

....Daniel does amazing things with blades.

This jacket was done sort of as a function of necessity. I really wanted a leather doublet, but couldn't afford the hide...so we did this from Tandy's scrap bin.

My former wife deserves all the credit for this, but it's too good not to show off. She is very talented.

Suede covered kite shield. Was overdue to be painted like 20 years ago. Also, I didn't make that beer...Saint Arnolds did!

Powder bag I did for carrying my lunch in.

The pliers are an adaptation done by my friend Tim Deemer. He cut them down from needle noses  and ground quarter circles in the grip surfaces...they are for holding chain mail rings during construction. I did the grips. The colorful fingernails holding them belong to my 9 year old, Skye :)

Hope you all enjoy the pictures....really glad to have found a community like this & am looking forward to learning and sharing with you all!

driftwood

Offline SA

Re: Long time ago, I did some Renaissance type work...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:58:35 am »
very cool, really like the sword and sheath. nice leatherwork too the patchwork gives it charactor.
Shawn Acker

Offline wasanchez

Re: Long time ago, I did some Renaissance type work...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:23:31 am »
Lone Star beer cans... nice we could get along just fine.  Nice work.

Walt
Walter Sanchez
Moulton, TX