Author Topic: Hickory trees  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Hickory trees
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »
I know its been talked about before but I'm a little slow,,if you know what I mean. I finally found me a couple of hickory trees! They are about 12 inches or so around,I'm going to cut them tomorrow.When I get them split,I seal both ends,,or both ends and belly? And should I split the belly out in the beginning??  ???
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory trees
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:26:08 pm »
Rick, When you cut the trees seal the ends of each log and split the logs in half and remove the bark. Some say it is not necessary to seal the backs of hickory staves but I do anyway for insurance. After a week or so split the halves into staves.
 I like to use shellac to seal wood because if you want to remove it later it can easily be done without harming the wood. You do not want to seal the belly(split side) of the stave but leave it raw so moisture has somewhere to escape.

also, het that hickory off of the ground ASAP and to a protected area so it can dry evenly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:39:42 pm »
Thanks Pat. It will only be on the ground long enough to get on the truck! Got me a place in the shop to dry it.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:04:31 am »
  Do yourself a favor and debark while geen. You don't have to I taken it off many staves later on. It's just easer while green.
  Hickorys my favoret white wood and I use it a lot. Mater ofact it's the only white wood I use for the last 10 years for myself.
  I do all my hickory like this. I split out the staves,debark, cut my stave down to simi bow form. Sell the whole stave then add reflex to it while green.
  If you leave the bark on here in WV (wood boarers)you have to spray it down with pestaside. Any kind will work I pick mine up at lowes.
  Wood boarers only lay eggs in the bark after the trees dead. So spraying kills any eggs thats already been layed in the bark before you've gotten around to them.  And it keeps others from laying eggs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING