Author Topic: Is this edible and anyone know what its is?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Is this edible and anyone know what its is?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:18 pm »
Rub one on the inside of your lip, if you don't get sick in the next 12 hours try one or two. If you still don't get sick try a hand full.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
Looks like one of the "imported" bush type honeysuckles.
Most likely Loniceva Macckir.  Most honeysuckle berries are suppossed to be "some what"
poison.  I dont think they are ripe.  Most are RED when ripe.  Birds love to eat them.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 07:05:35 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 04:43:06 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline chigger

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »
 This might be it,Lonicerais... a shrub that white tail use when they migrate from place to place it is mainly dropped from there poop in seeds and birds also drop Lonicera when the migrate from north to south or south to north.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »
This might be it,Lonicerais... a shrub that white tail use when they migrate from place to place it is mainly dropped from there poop in seeds and birds also drop Lonicera when the migrate from north to south or south to north.

yea i think that this is it. thank chigger
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »
If it's  honey suckle, it puts out berries a lot sooner than the amur honey suckle I'm familiar with.  It does look exactly like it though.  If it is, you have some fine shoot shaft material.  I just cut a few dozen shoots Sunday.  Its hollow inside so you have to be a little gentle while straightening   But it does make good arrows.  Here's some pics of the bark and the hollow ends of the shaft.  If it looks close, don't eat the berries.  Before I knew what it was, I squished one and tasted a tiny bit of the juice with the tip of my tongue.  At first the taste was very sweet and palatable.  Within a second a nasty bitter after taste set in that lasted an hour.  Hope this helps.  Josh

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »
If it's  honey suckle, it puts out berries a lot sooner than the amur honey suckle I'm familiar with.  It does look exactly like it though.  If it is, you have some fine shoot shaft material.  I just cut a few dozen shoots Sunday.  Its hollow inside so you have to be a little gentle while straightening   But it does make good arrows.  Here's some pics of the bark and the hollow ends of the shaft.  If it looks close, don't eat the berries.  Before I knew what it was, I squished one and tasted a tiny bit of the juice with the tip of my tongue.  At first the taste was very sweet and palatable.  Within a second a nasty bitter after taste set in that lasted an hour.  Hope this helps.  Josh

what the best way to remove the bark on the honeysuckle? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »
Use one of the cheep vegetable peelers that look like a knife that is split ,the sharp edge is in between the split part !
Works great !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:59 am »
Use one of the cheep vegetable peelers that look like a knife that is split ,the sharp edge is in between the split part !
Works great !

I have one of them and the wife dosent like it much so im sure she wont mind if i put it to good use. ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:35:33 pm »
I leave the bark on for a couple months while the shafts dry in bundles of six.  Then I just whittle it off with a pocket knife.  Josh

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 10:32:51 pm »
ok thanks for the info josh

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »
Did you ask the property owner?  Hes been around a long time,he probly knows.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does