Author Topic: Busy for the next year  (Read 2844 times)

Offline RobWiden

Busy for the next year
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »
    We don't have much really good bow wood where I live but we do have lots of birch. I went out yesterday and cut one down. I brought home about as much as my half ton pickup felt comfortable with, and today I got the rest. If I've got this figured out right, here's a picture of the first load.
<a href="http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/1025VS/?action=view&amp;current=DSCN0130
    Guess I don't have it figured out yet.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline johnston

Re: Busy for the next year
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »
    Well, obviously, I don't do pictures the way I should. Anyway, I got enough staves for a long time, some
that I intend to cut into backing strips, and some for arrows.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:44 pm »
Nice haul. Your using what you have available and thats the best you can ask for! Any elm or HHB in your neck of the woods?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »
    No, none. You have to go way east to find much hardwood in Canada. We do have a bit of Douglas maple, saskatoon (serviceberry), and red osier dogwood. All of them are hard to find big enough to make a hunting weight bow out of. I have some red osier drying but it's only about 1" diameter. Just want to see how much bow I can get out of it.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:55:45 am »
Logosol?   ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
It will be interesting to see what you can come up with, Rob.  Is there much difference in dynamics between "Birch" and "Yellow Birch"?
Is the yellow growing locally?

I bet good birch strips would be a decent trade item.
1’—>1’

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »
    I don't know anything about yellow birch, never tried it. The paper birch makes a nice bow with the right design. It needs to be wide and/or long enough to compensate for its low compression strength.
    I never thought of the backing strips as a trade item, probably because I haven't tried them yet myself. All the problems I've ever had with birch came from compression failures, so I think it's good in tension. After I've got a few bows with birch backings under my belt I'll know if it's good enough to trade.