Author Topic: 2nd bow build..western indian short bow  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: 2nd bow build..western indian short bow
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »
Finally got around to painting her.  I ended up doing 3 courses of sinew.  I kind of screwed that tiller up when I got carried away with the scraper.  Does not take much wood removal on  ab bow like this.  Anyway weight dropped, so I decided to sinew back it.  It is now pulling 40# at 28"  This pic is not so good, and I actually cleaned that paint off and started over...I will get some more pics ups when done.  Might take it turkey hunting this weekend.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 04:14:51 pm »
Do you feel like the sinew made the bow pick up power after you'd shot it in and it had stringfollow or better to have sinew backed it before you'd come to full draw?

Looks cool - post it up, I'd like to see it!
1’—>1’

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »
Parnell, it added some weight.  Pulled out some of the set.  Now holds about 1/2" of reflex.  It also makes me feel safe putting it on a scale and watching the string hit 28".  That said, I think it would have much better cast if I had sinew backed in some major reflex prior to getting it bending.  I am basically using this bow to experiment with sinew backing and painting....so that I don't screw up this nice yew paddle bow I got next in line...here are some teaser pics.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:00:42 pm by CMB »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »
Beautiful bow from a great wood with an awesome design.  Love the tiller, and the paint job keep 'em comin!

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:45 am »
I've built a couple little short bows and I really love'em. You done a fine job on that one there. I do like Matt and let the wood tell me when it's done bending.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »
Carson, Love it! Great tiller and I think you are right about it would have been better to sinew at the start. However for you to hit 28" with that shorty is a great feat and well done my friend. Love the paint job.   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »
Beautiful shorty in all aspects.Very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good