Author Topic: Made another bow - Butternut and Red Oak  (Read 4019 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Made another bow - Butternut and Red Oak
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:20:16 pm »
I made a new bow, this one from Butternut backed with Red Oak. I know that Butternut is not a proper bow wood, but it was fun to work, and came out really well.

I made a pyramid bow, and made it extra long for smooth shooting, measuring 82 inches nock to nock. The handle is angled which allows me to tilt the bow while shooting, and sight down the arrow rest. Shot straight up and down, it shoots left all the time. Tilted, it's dead on. Fun to shoot, too. The final draw weight came in at 20 lbs at 28 inches, so I decided it would be a nice bow to give to my wife. She thinks it's pretty cool, too.

See pics:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Made another bow - Butternut and Red Oak
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
I don't know much about butternut, but looks like a nice job to me!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:49:49 pm »
I don't know much about butternut, but looks like a nice job to me!!

Thanks much!

I know nothing about Butternut, I had to look it up after I bought it. All I knew from when I picked it up was that it was abnormally light but also showed a nice tight, straight grain, and was quite flexible. It might have worked unbacked, but would have probably been 10 lbs of draw at most.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:46:22 pm »
Nice work!! I like that butternut, never used it though. I may have to give it a go.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:49 am »
I've got a stack of butternut in the shop . Now you've got me thinking. Nice job.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:15:03 am »
Ive used butternut for carving wood, it is beautiful ....ive never thought about it as a bow wood ???
Shure is fun to work i agree, way to ;) think outside the box
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:31:05 am »
Butternut(White Walnut) is the first cousin of Black Walnut. Not known as a bow wood so good for you for prooving that wrong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »
Butternut(White Walnut) is the first cousin of Black Walnut. Not known as a bow wood so good for you for prooving that wrong.

One thing I've learned from the Traditional Bowyer's Bible books is that the authors liked to experiment with woods that are not considered 'true' bow woods. Of course, I'm decades behind them, and they've probably already done everything I'm trying, but it's fun to try something new. I never know if the wood is going to work, and if it looks iffy, I can back it. But when I'm done, sometimes I have something that nobody (that I know of) has made before.

My record can attest to this methodology - I've made eleven bows so far. Three made it to being finished bows. One was an experiment, and broke on purpose. The other seven broke in my hands or on the tillering tree. It's disappointing, but I've learned an awful lot. I can almost feel when some woods are reaching their peak now. Of course, most of them just snap and blow up in my face with no warning. I figure that the more I fail, the more I'll know how NOT to fail.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:43:50 pm by doggonemess »