Author Topic: Ishi stick Q  (Read 1564 times)

Offline TRACY

Ishi stick Q
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:09 pm »
I recently ordered another delrin Ishi stick with the intent to load it with smaller copper nails than the 20ds that come with it. It seems like I will be able to get narrow and long flakes for more detailed flake scars than I do with the larger nails. Is my logic correct here. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Ishi stick Q
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:41 am »
It all depends on the point you put on the nail through hammering or filing. The sharper the point the finer the flakes. It all depends how much pressure the nail can have applied to it before it bends!  ;)

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:16:47 am »
I would keep the thicker nails and just put a sharper point on it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:24:21 am »
I would keep the thicker nails and just put a sharper point on it.

What he said.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:31:56 am »
Ok! I was just a tad wordie!!!
 :P
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »
Sounds good. I keep them sharp and will put my theory to work in a few minutes. Tiller, no problem, I understood you. Thanks again!

Tracy

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »
I don't know what size Ishi you are using. I use a 3/4 in Ishi because I can bend ( load up pressuer) & push a flake about 1 to 1.5 in depending on the flake prep. & surface of the point. Size of nail isn't much of a factor. But Tiller is correct, it needs to be sharp. It works for me. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:34:44 pm »
Gave it a try tonight and noticed a very small difference in flake scar and length compared to the 20d nail both 3/4" delrin sticks. I was using the next size smaller. I noticed that I got better flex from the larger nail setup. Now I got two Ishi sticks >:D I will continue to experiment, but don't see downsizing too much as I got alight bend in the smaller nail after a dozen or so flakes.

Tracy