Author Topic: stave twist  (Read 1083 times)

Offline luke the drifter

stave twist
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:53:32 pm »
greetings y'all,

it has been a while since the last time i posted anything.  here is this one. 
i do not know if it was or has been discussed in this community but instead of steaming or using dry heat to get the twist out has it ever been achieved by simply taking mass off one side or however to the point where the string will pull the limbs allowing the string to  center when draw length has been achieved.  i do not know if what i am saying is making any sense.  is there a video to show how that would work. would there be a high limb-stress problem doing it that way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: stave twist
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »
Luke, you can tiller twist out of a bow.   IMO the only true way to check tiller is at full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:28 pm »
Heating the twist out of wood isn't hard at all as long as the twist isn't severe.  I think correcting it that way would be a much better solution than tillering it out.  That's my opinion on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:51:00 pm »
Unless the twist is greater than 30-35% I leave it. I would not deal with natural twist as you mentioned, Luke but I would fix twist I caused that way. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!