Author Topic: Some newb questions  (Read 2539 times)

Offline gudspelr

Some newb questions
« on: April 22, 2012, 02:44:43 am »
Figured you guys would be able to help me out with some questions that have been rattling around my cavernous head...

First, do any of you heat temper bamboo arrows?  I know using heat on the belly of a bamboo bow can be beneficial and wonder if doing the same to arrows would make a difference.

Next, any idea how many feathers for fletching I'll be able to get out of a set of turkey wings?  I've never harvested or used natural feathers but have 2 sets that I'm really excited about.

Also on the feather topic, I know left and right wing feathers should always stay together on an arrow.  Do any of you have sets of arrows with both left and right?  I guess I've just always had right side and heard of others always choosing one or the other for their arrows.  As long as the sides are kept together, shouldn't be a problem, right?  Just wanting to get as many arrows fletched as possible-considering 2 fletching some, too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeremy

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Some newb questions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:21:30 am »
    Jeremy,
                  Always keep the left and right wing feathers separate from each other. Feathers allow wind to pass through one direction and not the other to allow lift on a wing. When they are mixed on a arrow shaft they usually cause erratic flight.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:45:58 am »
I have shot right and left both as long as the arrow has the same wing on it you will be fine. Only time it matters is with a single bevel head ( match the wing to the bevel) On a wing you will average 7-9 primary feathers and 12-15 secondary feathers. All can be used as fletching of some sort or another. Figure about one fletch per feather depending on style and length.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 10:48:20 am »
It's ok to mix R/L feathers in the quiver, just not on the arrow, like you said.

There are about 8 primary feathers per wing, plus the secondaries.  The lower and upper sides of a split feather should be kept separate too.  Two fletch woodland style works really good and saves you a feather / arrow, but usually secondaries and tail are used for these styles.

I don't use bamboo for arrows. but most shoot shafts, cane and tonkin is heat straightened and heat hardened/treated too. 

Hope some others will join in.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
What Botarist said!  ;)
  There are lots of feathers on a turkey that can be used for fletching. Any feather at least 4" long will work for normal shooting and smaller ones for kids arrows.
  The arrow on the right is goose but from smaller feathers on the wing. You use the whole feather and lay it down on its back when attaching it and 2 or 3 more to the arrow.

Here is how I use this method...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info.  Great looking arrows, Pat.  I think I first saw some of your 2 fletched arrows that initially got me thinking.  I also have I think 2 Jake tails given to me by a guy that I might try and use for a southeastern 2 fletch.

I think having only used store bought fletching before made me over think the prep and application of the feathers...  Particularly the grinding down of the quill.  When you guys split the quill and trim it, how do you go about grinding it down?  Just some sandpaper on a block work ok?  Also, I'm fairly certain no glue or fletch tape is used on the 2 fletch, right?  As long as the wrap is applied correctly on each end of the quill, it should stay on just fine, correct?

And one last thing...  I have Tru oil that I could use to put a finish on the bamboo I have, but have heard there can be some problems with glue/fletch tape sticking?  Thanks again for all the help.

Jeremy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
Jeremy, fletch tape and Duco both work fine on Tru-Oil but you have to give the finish time to cure. A day or two should do.
  When splitting feathers I use a matt knife(retractable razor knife) then clamp the feather half in a fletch jig clamp and grind them on a belt sander. A sanding block works fine too.  You can also strip the feathers by holding the quill with one hand and pull the barbels din a downward smooth motion. It may take a few to get the hang but it is pretty easy once learned. I prefer to cut and grind as to stripping but both work very well.
  The Eastern Woodland(Cherokee) style fletching uses no glue. The back end is tied then the front end and the feather pulled tight before the final wrap on the forward end, just like the 3 feather fletch I posted above. I like to add helical to the these primitive fletching styles by tying the front of the fletch 180 degrees from where the rear is wrapped.
  Check out the "How To" section. I think there are examples of these on there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:43 pm »
I'm a noob too but here's my 2c.  I only use the longest wing and tail feathers for arrows (maybe 10 per wing).  However I occasionally use both sides of them if they are good.  I always keep arrows with the same bend (left vs right) and dont' mix.  Works well for me.  Best of luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
If you split a feather with two good sides, one side will be right hand the other side will be left hand so don't mix them up either.